Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Splatcocked chicken was goooood!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried TNW's method last night for first time. An hour before I marinated the split bird in two packages of McCormicks Grill Mate Mesquite...that plus the method of cooking was very good. I used two spatulas to turn and that was sloppy to say the least. Try it for a change.
PS With the chicken all spread out that way it looked like it had been airborne when it hit the windshield and a "splatted ****" is perhaps an alternative name!

Comments

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    one feral kat,
    I tried it too. It was good. I cooked it indirect with a Olive oil rosemary, oregano herb rub I make. It was quick an easy and very juicy. Good thing about the indirect. I didn't have to turn it which would have been messy like you say. Thanks TNW!
    B{P :~)

• Palisin, yup, a bird without a backbone is a pretty loose-goose when flippin~!

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    one feral kat,
    I had a hell of time trying to grab it with tongs. I ended up saying to hell with it and grabbed it with hands. The dirty bird was coming apart when I was pulling it off the grill. I imagine as the cook went on the turning got sloppier. One of my guests for dinner was a Gamecock alumnus as well and recommended another name. Yaah I'll leave that to ya'll guttersnipes!

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    palisin,[p]yeah they are tough to handle. I combined tongs with a spatula. I tried a version by Steve Raichlen in his How to Grill Book. It's a glorified pesto. Very nice.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    one feral kat,
    As much as I hate to admit it, I watched a show where Martha spatchcocked a chicken. She skewered it X-wise with some of those thick skewers. Sounds like a plan to me.... JCA

• J Appledog,[p]The skewers are unnecessary in my experience. The chicken stayed flat without them.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • palisin,
    I flip mine with tongs (got some big one's). I cook it 20 minutes on the first side and 25 on the second. Maybe if I waited longer on the first side, it would fall apart. But so far, no problems flipping.[p]TWN

The Naked Whiz