Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatties question

Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to make fatties for the first time. I am feeding about 30 men at a breakfast tomorrow morning. I bought 4- 2 lb Jimmy Dean Sausage rolls. When I look at the pics people have posted of these, the pics look like way more meat than the 2 pounders I bought. They are long and skinny. Will they take less time because they are thinner? Should I combine some of them? Any suggestions, ideas would be very helpful. Anyone know how long I should expect them to take? Thanks so much.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Larry McSass,[p] They plump up; however, I would go to the store and buy about 10 - 15 more.. 40 men will inhale and 4 pounds will be gone; furthermore, you'll have 36-37 angry men who didn't get any.[p]
  • hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Definitely get some more! I watched one of my friends inhale an entire fattie in about half an hour once. What I do is if I'm going to serve them with biscuits, I use them just as they come out of the package. If I'm doing little hors d'oeuvres, I roll them out a bit and cut down the cook time.

Don't forget to lay on the rub! :)

Hank
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Larry McSass,[p]The 2# logs I get are the same diameter as the 1# ones. I take fatties to work a lot and as far as amount goes, I make 5 or 6 of the 1# ones for 15 guys. Biscuits or some loaves of Texas toast both work good. [p]don't know who you are cooking for but I work around crews of ironworkers and welders, a lot of them are single too, so they can put a real hurt on food at morning break time. Last Saturday, 17 hands devoured 32 pulled pork sandwiches, a case of Mountain Dew and 2 huge bags of chips in just over 20 minutes. Take a bottle of mustard too, it's good on a fatty sandwich.[p]Below is my how-to on fatties. I foil finish ones I plan on reheating the next day.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    [ul][li]Fatties[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Saucehog
    Saucehog Posts: 30
    thirdeye,
    excellent post. I have never done a fattie, but as soon as I am done typing here, I am on the way to the store.[p]I'll post how it turns out.[p]Cheers,
    Saucehog

• thirdeye
    Saucehog,[p]You will always remember the first time you smoked a fatty.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Saucehog
    thirdeye,
    ok, I'm back from the store. I bought a "hot" version Jimmy Dean 1# and a regular version.[p]Have you had the hot? Also, If I roll one, what do you recommend putting in it?[p]Thanks,
    Saucehog

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    hahahaha..... ha
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Saucehog,[p]What evvah you want!![p]fattiestuffing.jpg[p]fattiesfinished.jpg
  • thirdeye
    Saucehog,[p]Yes, I've had both of those kinds as well as maple and one called seriously hot. The ones I don't care for have BOLD in their names. [p]Smoking them as-is with just a rub is very good and like AlaskanC said, about anything is good stuffed in them. Cheese is generally popular. Peppers are too. Maybe she will re-post her pictures from the recent past, they looked really good. They could have been Italian fatties.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    thirdeye, talk like this makes me nervous!

• Saucehog
    Thanks for the tips. I did a couple of fatties today. [p]They were great and extemely easy. We had a hell of a dinner breakfast..put the sliced fatty on some biscuits and chowed down.[p]Next week we I will try to roll a fatty w/goodies.