Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Hot Fires

Matt
Matt Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All --[p]Folks are always talking about how easy it is to get their fires up to face-melting temperatures, but I haven't found this to be the case. Often, it takes quite a bit longer than what I would expect and sometimes, I flatten out around 550.[p]Anybody care to post a step-by-step of how to build a rager?[p]I use a Weber chimney to start, but have recently purchased (but not tried) some starter cubes.[p]Matt

Comments

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Matt,[p]Before starting, open bottom grate all the way.[p]1). Clean out excessive ash and make sure all holes in grate and fire box are free of debris.
    2) I also use a chimney starter and use 1 full sheet from local paper to light it with. I usually place my chimney starter on the lower grate and just wait until the coals are all red...you can do this step on your grill, but if it has sticky residue, the newspaper will stick to it.
    3) Once coals are going, dump them into the bottom and then put more fresh lump on top. I usually fill it up to the top of my fire ring.
    4) Close dome and open daisy wheel all the way. Go pour an adult beverage and come back in 10-15 minutes. Be sure that your egg is nowhere near the siding on your house! Temp should be pegging out at 700+ and rising.[p]Hope this helps[p]Paul

• Matt, try cleaning out your egg. No blocked holes. Fill to top of fire box with larger pieces of lump, or better, half way up your fire ring. Open bottom vent, leave screen closed for safety, remove daisy wheel. I use a webber chimney also. About half full of lump. Let the whole thing ignite before dumping into egg. I just don't understand why you cannot attain 750° in fifteen minutes. ern.
  • Matt
    Eggvis,[p]Thanks -- the big difference here is that I usually fill the Egg with lump and then pour flaming coals on top. Perhaps that's my problem....[p]Matt
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Matt,[p]Seems like the size and kind of lump can make a big difference. [p]I recently used some of the Frontier brand So. American lump. It seems to be pretty high in carbon content, and is a little harder and slower to light. As it happened, the bag I was using was almost all great big chunks. I had 4 -5 pieces that were almost 4" thick and 8" long. It was like a stack of logs. THere was only a handful of tiny pieces to fill in the gaps. After 30 minutes, it reached 450, and just stayed there for another 10 minutes. It was time for dinner, so I did "slow" steaks. [p]The next high temp fire, I used an equal amount of Cowboy, and all the pieces were medium to small. Started the same way, with about a minute of MAPP torch. 15 minutes later it broke 500, and was at 700 by the time I brought the meat out from the house.[p]It also seems to take much longer to get up to heat if the Egg has been sitting in the rain. All the moisture has to get baked out first.[p]gdenby

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Eggvis,
    I wouldn't bother with the daisy.

• The only thing I can think of that others haven't mentioned is to make sure that the little cutout in the bottom of your fire ring is facing the draft door at the bottom of the egg.

• Matt
    NJKel,[p]Thanks for the reply -- that's one problem that I'm sure I don't have....[p]Matt
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Matt,[p]I agree with all of the suggestions below, but I also "juice" the temperature with a hair dryer blowing into the bottom vent. Careful - you will see the temperature gauge moving faster than the gas gauge on my 455, 4 barrel, 2 1/2 ton 1972 Buick convertible.[p]Roudy

• Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Matt, before I purchased the torch, I used the chimney and had no problem with 750-800. I also believe that maybe you have some ash behind the firebox. Take everything out, the ring the box and clean real good check the air holes. I use the cheap stuff at Wally World. I mean sometimes there may only be about 10 nice size pieces and rest is small but I still get the temps I want. Good Luck.

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Matt,
    well if you had my luck then all you would have to do is setup for a 400 deg cook and then walk away for a few minutes....w/my luck you'd be pinging 2000 degrees soon.[p]I think most people forgetthe variables when they cook.[p]A: some people place there charcoal in the firebox
    B: some people pour it outta the bag
    C: some people vacuum their egg clean
    D: some people rarely sweep out the ash
    E: people use various lump...some dense, some not, some large, some small, some partially used some not[p]Keep all this in mind along w/3 simple things[p]the fire triangle: fuel oxygen heat...I thinkk that's it...but mind you...I been drinking[p]Jan

• Brobear
    Brobear Posts: 43
    Matt,[p]Make sure the fire grate is not upside down.
  • Matt,
    I use the Weber starter cubes. I cut them on a diagonal with a putty knife and then place 3 in a triangle nestled in the lump. After lighting I put a few pieces of lump on the cubes, put the grid on and leave the top open (bottom vent is wide open) for about 5 min. I then close the top and within a couple of minutes the temp is soaring through 600. You have to keep your eye on it.
    Kevin

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Matt,
    use your leaf blower un the bottom hole.... you'll be forging iron in a couple of minutes.... maybe your lump is stored in a damp place?