Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reliable Hamburger Recipe!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
let me tell you about last nite. Had my Brother's family over for a cook on the egg. We did WA WA wings and they turned out perfect!!! This I have down to the correct temp, set up and rubs.
Where I have problems is getting burgers done to a pink center every time. I have done them many ways but am looking for a reliable method to get them perfect every time. The most recent way is 500 dome temp for 6 minutes a side. Then dwell for 5 minutes. This time they were "well" and still tasted great (thanks to our forgiving egg). You know what I am talking about when your guests still rave but you are not satisfied because it wasn't done to perfection??? Any help with time and temps would be appreciated. My buddy who owns a bge says he cooks at 300 dome for 12 min a side?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Coals, my favorite temperature is around 400F and I have been trying this "dimpled" burger pattie as others have suggested and it works well. Make your burger as you normally like them, and depress the centers kinda like a holeless donut. I do mine to a medium to medium rare at around 4 to 5 minutes per side. Then dwell em to about 8 to 10 minutes. If you want your cheese, onion, add them during the last minute of the dwell time.
    I like a few slivers of pepperjack in addition to the other cheese.
    Burgers are fun, and there are dozens of ways to vary the burger contents for all sorts of super burgers. Nothing in restaurants to compare to em.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,[p]Thanks for the advice I will try it.
    By the way what does the dimpled shape do?
    Does it help disperse the juices???

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Coals, IMO, the dimpled or depressed center's helps to keep the burger flat orientated and not swelled in the center. The burgers come out with all sorts of juice. One of the principles in a great burger is to keep the juices on board. Never flatten a burger with a spatula, either in a pan or on a grill. Some do and wind up with dry almost IMO, tasteless burgers.
    Hope this helps.. and others will give some info also.
    Not sure if it was BBQFan1 or BBQBluesnQ or maybe MikeO that first mentioned it..Somebody down in the threads.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Char-Woody, I don't think I put out that particular 'hint' but what I will offer is this: Don't get 'fancy' and figure you're making super burgers by springing for extra-lean ground beef (if not grinding your own). A regular grind will have the kind of fat content you are looking for in a nice juicy burger. Extra lean looks good in the tray, but will assuredly produce a dry burger no matter what time/temp/dwell combination you use.
    Qfan

• Char-Woody
    Options
    BBQfan1, I agree..that extra lean makes good goulash..:-)
    C~W

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Coals,
    As C W suggests the dimple in the middle is the way to go.
    I cook mine at about 500* 4 mins. a side and dwell till done. I chech them with am instant read theremometer shooting for 140-145*.
    B D

• Coals,[p]A month back I started grinding my own hamburger. I find deals on Chuck Roast and grind it in my KitchenAid. I've been enjoying fantastic burgers ever since. I like to marinate mine for 30 minutes or more with Worcestershire sauce covered with Montreal Steak Seasoning. I smear them with yellow mustard (makes great char crust). After reading the suggestions below on cook times I might play with lower temps. Up until now I've used 700+ degrees, I sear for 3 mins, flip and go 6-8 (1/2 lb size) on the other side in dwell mode (vents closed). This makes a great burger but I want more mesquite flavor, the longer cooking times might help me achieve that.[p]CC