Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For you Cast Iron junkies

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Amazon has several cast iron dutch ovens at a great price with free shipping right now.
The "Bayou Classic" 16qt for only $40.00 and I believe the 12qt for $35.00.
If you are in a place where they are hard to find this is a great deal with the free shipping...
Darian

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Photo Egg,[p]I'm been meaning to post and ask which pots some of you like best for egging? I used one pyrex/corning type casserole on the egg recently and ruined it, so I want to get some pots only for the egg instead of using my indoor kitchen stuff.[p]Chime in with your favorite pots and what you egg in them.[p]Thanks,
    Gwen

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    d,
    Since my wife and kids have been paying attention to what I ask for and because they are generous, I have some Lodge cast iron pots that I use on my egg. I have a couple of Dutch ovens, a 12" skillet (modified to fit in the egg), and some cast iron muffin tins/cornstick molds. You can't beat cast iron on the egg.[p]Doc

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    FatDog,
    Thanks. I was just kind of wondering if there was any other type of material that was useful. It sounds like cast iron is the way to go![p]I was looking thru the other post on cast iron grilling below and all the photos show cast iron as well.[p]Luckily cast iron is easy to come by for a good price. But I didn't know that using it on the egg isn't good for the seasoned finish. Maybe I'll break down and get a can of that spray stuff. I absolutely hate it and almost never use it. It doesn't seem healthy to me, but I've been told by others that it is pretty much all natural stuff. I'm just not big on aerosols. Maybe they make one that's more like a pump action or spritz kind of thing. I usually just use a paper towel and wipe with some version of olive oil. Hey, maybe I could make my own spray bottle![p]Gwen

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    d,
    what happened to the corning, did it get that brown coloring that does come off if you soak it long enough and scrub it, or did it break. if your looking for searing, regular cast iron, if your going to do things acidic like tomatoes the enameled is better but its not good to sear in. the Le Creuset will get the same brown coloring on the outside, but it will come clean after soaking it long enough. there are also some really nice soapstone pots out there that work at the middle cooking temps.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    d,[p] I posted this before but here it is again. For materials other then Bare Cast Iron (corning, aluminum, enameled cast iron) if you want to keep the out side soot free then apply a light coast of dish detergent to the outside surface. [p] This will prevent the soot and gook from sticking to the outside surface. Wipes right off with a dish rag and hot water.[p] Bare Cast Iron just gets better with use. For acidic and sweet cooks boil water in it as soon as possible after the cook. Wipe out the cast iron and coat with a light spray of PAM or light coat of vegetable oil.[p] I of course prefer regular cast iron.. Not much I haven't cooked in cast iron in my life. The eggs steady all around heat just makes it that much better to use.[p]
  • Dimple's Mom
    Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks![p]Gwen

• Dimple's Mom
    fishlessman,
    Yeah, it got all brown on the outside, scorched looking. It didn't come off with the soaking. :( I'm still using it and it may get cleaner as time goes on, but I learned my lesson.[p]Gwen

• 28oct06-060.jpg
    <p />d,
    i do not recommend using fine china![p]but the bread was great and the dish cleaned up well.

• When my corning ware type stuff gets really dirty with oven stuff, etc., or my stainless roasting pan gets smoky outside, I just clean it up nicely with a SOS pad. See if that works for you.
  • KS Cheryl
    KS Cheryl Posts: 71
    dimplesmom,
    Try Dawn Power dissolver. I put some on a smoked up pan and it just wiped away after less than 5 minutes soaking. Better than scrubbing. :) Cheryl

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    dimplesmom,
    I have taken a hint from Alton Brown (Good Eats!) and now use a spray bottle with light vegetable oil instead of the aerosol sprays. You can get the bottles at a dollar store and, with several on hand, can have one for vegetable oil and one for olive oil. I even keep one in my refrigerator in my classroom with oil and vinegar dressing to mist onto my daily salad.[p]Doc

• Dimple's Mom
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Darn, that looks very similar to the kind of dish I used. I didn't have the pizza stone, tho. And the bottom of mine burnt. Cut if off and the rest was great but need to figure out how to bake it without burning.[p]Gwen

• 20jan07-041.jpg
    <p />dimplesmom,
    everybody must get a stone

• Dimple's Mom
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Picked up my stone today. As I pulled into the driveway, I had vague memories of buying one already (and even using it). If so, it must be buried in the garage (no man's land). Just in case, I snuck the one I bought into the garage so the hubby wouldn't ask why I bought another. Just hope I don't forget about this one![p]Gwen