Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need Reasons to purchase a Green Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK Egg-heads, I am in the market to purchase a new smoker. I do not want a WSM.. I have been cooking on a home made offset for years and love the flavor it gives me. Plus I cook with wood, (logs). Why in the world would I want to consider the green egg. Please post your answers. I might consider changing my mind.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Sidney,[p]Just my oppinion, but the BGE has so much to offer![p]I wanted a smoker, but not something I needed a truck to pull around. Most of the backyard model I saw were poorly constructed and required constant attention while cooking (to maintain temp). Also, I like the sheer convenience of gas (but hate the taste).[p]The BGE offers me the best of both. [p]1. Although the BGE uses lump as its basic fuel, I add wood chunks for more flavor.[p]2. Temp control is EZ!! I do over night cooks often (while I sleep)![p]3. Convenience: The BGE is ready to go in 10 minutes [p]4. I can seer steaks at 700 - 1000 degrees. I don't know if an offset will do that.[p]5. Efficient: Because of the ceramic nature of the egg, little heat is lost ... and fuel is saved.[p]Just my thoughts![p]Smokey[p]BTW, if someone near you owns one, take a look and maybe a sample!
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Sidney, your offset and wood burner is a fine cooking machine. The advantage a BGE gives over the offset is containment of smoke and moisture. You food will be quite noticably different and will cook quicker when required.
    Your offset will cook more volume and require far more TLC thru the cook than with a BGE or other ceramic cooker.
    (Are you looking Huck?)
    Good to have you join up and ask..I am sure you will find many responses to this one.
    C~W[p] [p][p]

• Sidney, First off we are Eggers (Egg-heads can be Eggers also, but the terms are by no means interchangeable). With that out of the way, the BGE gives you the same results as an offset, but with a jucier and more tender end product. The Egg is more compact and versatile, like a kettle grill, but the ceramic construction really locks in the flavors and the moisture. A pork loin cooked at 240-250 for 10 hours to an internal temp of 170 yeilds a bounty of soft, juicy, pink meat woderfully flavored with the subtle aromas of whichever smoking wood and herbs and spices you choose. Anyone who tries your turkey will be begging to be invited back for more. Briskets and pulled pork come out more tender and flavorful than any you've ever had before. All in all, it's just plain worth it.
  • Char-Woody
    Sidney, your offset and wood burner is a fine cooking machine. The advantage a BGE gives over the offset is containment of smoke and moisture. You food will be quite noticably different and will cook quicker when required.
    Your offset will cook more volume and require far more TLC thru the cook than with a BGE or other ceramic cooker.
    (Are you looking Huck?)
    Good to have you join up and ask..I am sure you will find many responses to this one.
    C~W[p] [p][p]

• Sidney, Alright, EGGERS, but I am still not convenced. Where can I look at one of these things and how much should I execpt to spent on a large one?

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Sidney,[p]On the home page or on the top of the forum page I think, there is a link to a page to find your nearest distributor. Enter your zip code and it will pull up a list of distributors and their phone numbers and addresses. You can see them at their location.[p]As far as price of a large I cant be of help. I bought my medium a few years ago for about $475 including a few accessories, a cover and a cart. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sidney,
    Like CW said, your offset is probably a great cooker, and you, no doubt, can crank out some great food on it ...especially after years of practice. [p]The BGE will obviosly have much less capacity....about enough room for a 25-30 pound turkey, 3-4 Eight pound butts. The biggest advantages probably (some previously mentioned) are ease of use, moisture retention, heat retention (nothing like cooking without a hitch at 0 degrees F), fuel efficiency, wide range of temperatures from 180-1200...and temps are maintained with little effort. Also nice to be able to bake bread and pizzas. [p]A few thoughts. It would be a great addition to your offset for times when you are just cooking for the family, or when you need two cookers. Not sure where you live, but cooking in the winter is a major bonus.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Sidney,
    I know that you can get great food from an offset smoker. My questions to you is, over say a 14-16 hour period to smoke a boston butt, how many times do you have to tend the fire? How much time do you have to spend in front of the thing? And how much fuel will you use during that time?[p]Besides all the other reasons that people have for owning one of these, my main reason is simply convenience for low and slow cooking and fuel efficiency. For a 14-16 hour cook, I'll put maybe 5 pounds of lump charcoal in and 3 fist sized chunks of hickory. Because I am new at this, I still check the temp at least every 45 minutes to an hour, but I don't really have to.[p]When I do butts, I usually put them on around 5-6 p.m. and they are ready for lunch the next day. I get a full night's sleep, minus an our or so if my low temp alarm on my remote thermometer goes off in the early morning.[p]When the cook is done, I've still got enough charcoal left for 1 or 2 grilling sessions easy. And there is usually still some of the hickory left too. I would put one of these butts up against the best bbq in Memphis (which is where I live).[p]This is just my opinion and I am a newbie here. I owned an offset smoke and was never really happy with it because I spent more time fooling with it trying to keep the temp right. Maybe if I had bought a Klose, things would be different, but I am happy with my little ceramic cooker and so is everyone who's tasted everything that's come off of it. I am not trying to brag, on the contrary, I am not that good a cook. If it can make me look good, someone like yourself who seems to know how to cook will work wonders on it.[p]Whatever you decide, good luck and good q'ing to ya![p]Mikey

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Sidney, I'm in Denver, where we have 4 or 5 BGE retailers. Pay anywhere from low$600 to mid$800 for a large Egg. Shop around for the best price.
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Sidney,[p] Hello Sidney:[p] Do i feel a hook in the middle of your question? [p] Earl ( none egg-head)
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Sidney,
    Because you've seen the light and realize the error of your ways?
    And if you don't buy one you'll always be "One of Those On the Outside" wishing your little heart out?
    Seriously, of the many choices I've made, the purchase of my Big Green Egg was one of the best. Simply read the material in our forum. No other forum is anywhere near the qualiy of ours and if that isn't enough the Product we all use is the best you can buy.
    Join us, you won't be disappointed.[p]Carey, member of
    The Cult of The Big Green Egg

• Char-Woody,[p]I was going to respond to this question, but I
    don't yet own a BGE - so I figured that DQed me.
    I do, however, recommend BGEs to neighbors who are
    enticed by the aroma coming from my OK Joe offset.[p]You just can't beat the temperature efficiency of
    a BGE (especially in those winter months)[p]It won't be long before I'll get one of my own.[p]BTW - can Pre-Eggers sign up for the Eggtoberfest??

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Yorta,[p]All are welcome at Eggfest.[p]Jethro
  • Char-Woody
    Jethro, thats a pretty good answer..but maybe we better double check this one..
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Yorta, I think in the past there have been quite a few non "eggers" that have been there, and took home a "pre-conditioned" discounted BGE. Still hot from the cook...:-)
    But I have a note poked towards Ed Fisher and his chief of staff..Caleb Clarke the C.E.O...and I have a hunch they will come up with a same conclusion. Dunno..wait and see and if I am wrong..I will e.mail ya. Pronto..!! Fast mail..unless the "RED" Worm has the internet downcaste..:-)
    Cheers atcha.. and BTW.. if you carry a PBR in one hand, its usually a valid pass..KennyG will vouch for that!! I might even attend the 2001 Fest.
    C~W[p]

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    View?u=1620130&a=12472035&p=47469313
    <p />Char-Woody,
    'priciate it Char Woody! I never, ever post the k word on here out of respect to all you fine folks. I've learned too much from you and this is YOUR forum and it would be very impolite! NOW, the regular BBQ forums are open season! Some of you guys've been kickin' on me pretty hard over there :) I can take it, tweren't an ass kickin' that I couldn't take, especially when I've got my feet planted in firm soil! I like spreading my knowledge of the ceramic cook here because it takes awhile to get it. Everytime someone says to me "ya know what I do?" I listen hard. That's how you get better. That throwin' the onions on the coals thing came from a young latino guy at the store. He told me that's one of his grandpa's secrets. I like doing it for no other reason than the awesome aroma it makes with the hickory smoke! It does help color the meat. Appearance, flavor, and aroma. It's all important! Here's a little of the good stuff for ya... the flame that causes all bliss!!!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Ken:[p]Just seconding the onions and garlic in the fire . . . Nice aroma!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Char-Woody,
    No need to double check. ALL are welcome to EGGtoberfest.

• Char-Woody
    Huck, thanks for your thoughts... E.mail me as this isn't the place to discuss topics that may become a issue of disagreement. In the meantime..enjoy the forum. Its not my forum, it belongs to every individual here that can read the rules.
    BGE owners in particular and guests from all the others. Just be courteous and respect who pays the bills here to support the forum.
    Thanks...C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    JJ, good to hear that..! That was my impression also. I remember waaaaaay back when there was a bit of a debate regarding that issue..so far back I cannot remember it. :-)
    C~W

• Char-Woody,[p]Hmmm...don't know if I like the implication.

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Sidney,
    It's fun to cook on and makes the dang best food you'll ever eat.
    Bought a large 4 months ago and added a small 3 weeks ago.
    What a blast!
    Can't wait till tonight.
    B D

• Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Sidney,
    Why buy a Big Green Egg? For all of the previous posts reasons, but most of all CHICKS DIG IT!