Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin question

Options
Black Dog
Black Dog Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 60 people coming over Saturday and I plan to do 3 beef tenderloins (about 7 lbs. each) on my large BGE. Should I do them "slow and low" at 200 to 250 or more like roasting at 300-or some other way? How much time should I plan on with that much meat?Should I use the indirect method with fire bricks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Black Dog

Comments

• Black Dog,[p]Cookem hot at first to seer the meat, then 300 to finish them off. ETA 1.25 hrs.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Black Dog,
    One thing that strikes me about your post is that 20 ponds of prime beef sound like too little for 60 people. But that leads to the next question, is this the only meat? You could add a nice turkey that you could cook ahead of time and allow people to have a choice. Smoke a good-sized turkey in the morning and put it still warm in a cooler. That way both meats will be hot when you need them.[p]Back to the beef, I assume that you have a large BGE. I would cook the beef directly at 350-375 turning it every 15 minutes. This will give a nice crust on the meat. Most importantly is to watch the internal temperature of the meat. I would pull the beef off of the grill when the internal temperature of the center reaches 125-130. This should give everyone the doneness they desire. The ends should be well to well done and the middle should be rare to medium rare. I would just season the meat with salt and pepper. I remember a wet seasoning mixture that I once used on a Prime Rib. It consisted of dark soy sauce, Kitchen Bouquet and something else. I can look for it tonight if you like. The overall cooking time for the beef could be around 2 hours, but I am guessing.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Black Dog
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,thanks. It sounds quite manageable.Would you use bricks or a place setter or just cook them on the grid?If so,I would usually use bricks and a v rack with a drip pan underneath. Any thoughts?By the way, we will also have lobsters and long neck clams (flown in from Maine)as part of the main course.
    Thanks,Black Dog

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    My 2/c[p]I would cook them direct on the grid. No real reason to cook on a raised grid.[p]
    Sounds like a yummy dinner.[p]Let us know how it turns out.[p]Mick

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Black Dog,
    I have sampled some of SloMo's tenderloin at the last two Eggtoberfest,it is out of this world,by the way,where is SloMo been hiding.
    Larry

[ul][li]SloMo's Beef Tenderloin[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    MickeyT.,
    I agree totally.
    To me, one of the best parts of great roasted beef is that crunchy exterior followed by the velvety smoothness of the rarer interior. I guess that it is a texture thing.[p]Toss them directly on grid and enjoy the compliments. I also would like to hear the results of your cook.
    R&J[p]

• Black Dog
    Options
    MickeyT.,the tenderloins were a bigger hit than the lobsters we cooked!I did them directly on the grill as suggested in the posts. All 18 inches of grid space was used which made it kind of tricky to turn them without leaving the dome up too long.My digital thermometer went bad during the cook so we had to take a SWAG as to when to pull them and serve. It turned out to be a lucky guess.
    Black Dog