Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chain restaurant pulled pork versus BGE

Options
Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband and I had lunch at a BBQ chain restaurant on Saturday and both ordered pulled pork sandwiches. Should have sent back that dry, flavorless pork, but we ate it (drowned in BBQ sauce). My husband asked me to puh-leeeeeze cook pork on the egg over the weekend. [p]I decided to make a rub from Dr. BBQ's cookbook and chose the Big-Time Barbeque Rub. The guru did a nice job watching my two butts, a small and a big bertha. They went on at 10 o'clock Saturday night. The little butt came off at about 10 Sunday morning and big bertha came off at 1. [p]The cooked at 225 with two chunks of hickory and a small handful of cherry chips. Now that's pulled pork. The flavor and texture were great. And the rub, which takes all of 10 minutes to mix up, is wonderful - thanks Dr. BBQ.[p]Have a great week everybody.[p]Joyce

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Trouble,[p]Shhhh! can't let the restaurant owners figure out why the customer's are staying home. There is a local rib joint that makes very good to excellent food. I used to visit regularily. In the 13 months since getting my 1st Egg, the amount of $ I've not spent getting their ribs is equal to the cost of my 1st medium, nest and platesetter included. [p]gdenby
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Trouble,[p]I quote a friend who has been helping me compete:[p]:Now I know I'm spoilt...[p]We went to [Name Delete on purpose] BBQ for lunch today... They've been open since 1937... Hadn't been there in a couple of years or so, before I had ever tried my hand at ribs...[p]Had their rib plate.[p]IT SUCKED! Didn't even have a smoke ring. A crying shame I tells ya..."[p]The only BBQ I eat besides my own any more is my father-in-laws and that made by fellow Eggers.[p].o0(wonder if I can afford Omaha?)

• Unknown
    Options
    Trouble, This weekend cooked exclusively on the egg. Friday pork chops, Saturday burgers and dogs, Sunday pork loin. I know we saved at least $120.00 by not eating out this weekend and everything is so easy to prep and cook. On my way to having the egg pay for itself and then some! Cindi