Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prospective Egg Buyer - Concerned about Flashback

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm giving serious thought about buying an Egg, but have been reading quite a bit about the flashback phenomenon. I don't want to have to wear a flame suit while grilling. Any thoughts on this to reassure a noob?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    NorthernSmoke,[p]Read the thread I've linked below.[p]Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Egged food![p]Welcome,[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Concerns about Flashback Addressed[/ul]
  • NorthernSmoke,
    Flashback is not a common occurrence in my experience, but I'm a low and slow man, not a high-temp cooker. Once or twice, when I was cooking steaks in the 600+ range, I had it happen. The main thing is to get out of the old gasser or charcoal frame of mind where you simply lean over, pull off the lid, and peer in. With the Egg, you need to remember when you are cooking above 400 or so to lift the lid an inch or two, lower it, then lift it up slowly. This just needs to become a habit. I always wear a leather glove when I work on the egg anyway, and I have not singed a single hair.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    NorthernSmoke, I've had almost the same thing happen to me back in my gasser days when the ignitor wasn't working properly. It's no big deal as long as you wear a glove while doing hi temp cooks. It does keep the curious from peeking though.

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Hi NorthernSmoke,
    I never get a flashback when I'm paying attention to what I'm doing.
    Using proper gloves & burping the Egg I never have a problem.
    The style of glove I use is provided in the link.
    But what the hey. When it comes to great food what’s a few forearm hairs.
    Or for that matter, eyebrows, moustache, sideburns, chest hairs & lets not forget the all important shin hairs.
    You'll be fine.
    Cheers,
    bruce[p][p]

[ul][li]http://www.gloves-online.com/covex.htm[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    NorthernSmoke,
    I can truthfully say that in all the years since I made the flashback movie, I have never heard of anyone getting seriously hurt by a flashback. You don't need to worry, just use some common sense and give the Egg just a little respect. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    NorthernSmoke,
    My Pregnant wife gets the fire ready on my Large and small eggs frequently before I get home from work. As long as you burp your eggs you will be fine. I wouldn't let her touch them if they were unsafe.[p]Regards, Pharmeggist

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    NorthernSmoke,[p]Just stick a trash bag over yor head..you'll be fine!

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    NorthernSmoke,[p]
    I dont no, all this here talk bout flashbacks and "should i buy an egg or not cuzza the flashbacks"..is really out of control...i neva herd of nobody whats anybody gettin really hurt by a flasback...here's some advice from a stump..to sorta put it in puspective..an put yore imne at ease..if I had only one long extra thick black hair south of the border..what poked out too feet long..an glistened in the sun like hi fructose corn syrup..so doggoned pretty it shoulda bin ensured for somethin like a hundred thousand dollas..ifn i had the money..i'd still cook nakid in fronta mine egg..an only eva worry bout pokin my eye out with that wonder hair...not burnin it off inna flashback...thats how strongly i feel about it..id risk it all juss like that...[p]Hope I helped you..man..a helpful poum and now THIS..what a day...WHAT a day![p]StumpBaby

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    NorthernSmoke,
    The Big Green Egg is as close to nuclear power as it can get. Man, if you are not careful, it will blow your head off. lol Just kidding. This machine is fool proof. You will never find another cooking machine that comes even close to this thing. Make the purchase and get a large. [p]Chef Jerry

• NorthernSmoke,
    That "Flashback" is real however is very easy to avoid. I got in the habit early on in my Egging career of "burping the egg", which is nothing more than quickly opening and closing the lid about 4-5 inches 3-4 times. By doing this the most you will get is a small flame swooshing out of the top vent. After burping it's safe to open the lid all the way. Get in the habit of burping your egg as if it is secound nature and you won't have any problems. Fire Suits cost to much anyway :)
    GaryJ

• Jwirlwind,
    QUOTE: "The Big Green Egg is as close to nuclear power as it can get. Man, if you are not careful, it will blow your head off".
    That is too funny Jerry, I almost hurt myself laughing at that one!!! Well Done.
    GaryJ

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    GaryJ,
    We all have to use a little humor at times. [p]Jerry

• GHEgger
    GHEgger Posts: 37
    NorthernSmoke,[p]Don't let an inanimate object intimidate you. Just remember that you are working with actual FIRE. Air flow (oxygen) is the "trump card") This is not a gasser - take it from a guy who converted last year. I've lost some arm hair, but it's nothing life-threatening. If the "Flashback" happens, consider yourself part of an elite group and keep grilling. Respect the fire, and the fire will respect you. Welcome to the club!
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    NorthernSmoke,
    Aaaaaa...dont sweat it. Many people here actually make jokes about it...."hey guess what i opened the lid, and now I have no air on my arm! HAHAHAHAHAHAHH" Reply:"welcome to the club!!!HAHAHAHHA"
    Just remember when working with high temps always fan in air to bottom vent and open lid very slooooolwy.
    ST

• NorthernSmoke,
    Honestly, using my Mapps to light my egg is a lot more scary to me than my concern about a flashback. [p]Mapps seems to make some of my lump pop and crackle, occasionally burning me with some pretty hot embers. [p]I always burp my egg when cooking at high temps. Have had one FB that concerned me - but in spite of it's splendor, all it did was burn some hair on my arm. And now I know better. [p]You're playing with fire. Always a certain amount of risk with that. But if you'll read the Naked Whiz's writeup on Flashbacks, it'll tell you all you need to know to miss out on the fun. [p]By the way, in my case, FB's are only a high temp issue. If I wanted to take drastic measures to avoid, I certainly wouldn't choose to be without an egg - way too many tasty dishes come off of my egg at low temps (< 400 degrees). [p]If you're really concerned, keep a fire extinguisher handy or buy a pair of welders gloves for opening the egg when cooking at high temp.[p]But don't do without the egg. [p]Bubba T

• michigan2007-027.jpg
    <p />NorthernSmoke,
    bananas foster flambe' on my medium egg[p]michigan2007-025.jpg[p]relax, mon! everyting will be alright!

• BYC
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Nice BUT!--we wonder how or why gaskets are torched. I saw a BGE last week that had been fitted with a stainless steel gasket that hung over the edge. The felt was underneath the SS and NO leaks whatsoever. I was impressed and am headed to the fab shop next week.

• byc,
    my gasket is fine and well seasoned from the end of sept 06. no problem, mon!

• 22jun07-026.jpg
    <p />byc,
    this was tonight one week after that flambe'...[p]no worries, mon!

• BYC
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]yah mon---i's happy for u's mon...be well..;))))))

• 31036.jpg
    <p />Thanks for the replies and moral support folks. You've put me at ease. I've got one more question, but I'll save it for a different post. BTW, I picked up one of the above just to be safe. Heh, just kidding....

• BubbaLEE
    BubbaLEE Posts: 7
    NorthernSmoke,[p]Flash back is a problem! You have to be very careful in searing steaks! Once you cut back the flame, LET THE BGE COOL DOWN BEFORE PUTTING THE STEAKS BACK ON. If not, watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!