Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new fish recipe

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just added a new fish recipe to the recipe board. It's for a salt-baked sea bass (branzino) or red snapper. iIadapted it from a magazine recipe I saw earlier this summer. [p]You put the fish in a salt-crust, then cook it on top of newspapers at 400*. It's a great way to show non-eggers how a BGE distributes heat. They can't believe that the newspapers won't burn up.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    char buddy ,
    seems funny to use good charcoal and space age ceramic only to add fumes from newspaper ink.[p]I did see a cooking program once that had a cook in some top notch kitchen showing how it was done..the way the fish steamed as the hardend salt was cracked open was neat.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    char buddy ,
    What is the purpose of the newspaper, since you already have parchment under the fish?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    char buddy ,
    I assume you're cooking indirect on the Egg to prevent the newspaper for catching fire.
    Is this correct?
    B D

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    If Ray Bradbury was right and 451 degrees is the ignition point of paper, and if you are cooking below this temperature, then the newspaper shouldn't ignite.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • char buddy
    Options
    Big Daddy,[p]No I do it direct.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Mass. Actually, you could just use several sheets of parchment paper. Newspaper is cheaper.

• char buddy
    Options
    alt,[p]It really is neat how the fish comes out and the flavor is just too good. If you're worried about the newspaper ink, just use something else like extra sheets of parchment paper. You want a little more mass than a single sheet of paper.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    char budyy ,[p]Why paper then? Why not place the parchment in a pan and place the pan on the grid? [p]By the way, our local paper uses soy-based inks. I know at one time, they were the only paper in the nation using them, but I assume other papers are doing so now. So, if one is really worried, I suppose they could check with their local paper.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • char buddy
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]You could do it that way - put the parchment paper in a pan. I don't have disposable drip pans that size, but I'm sure that would be a great way to do the recipe.[p]I started using paper after I read a post on another forum from a guy did his salmon on newspaper sheets. I didn't think it would work. I tried it and it worked and it's real simple. The third or fourth time I did it, I noticed the effect it had on guests. Lots of drama. Now I just do it for fun and convenience. [p]Try it without the paper and let me know how it turned out.
  • Unknown
    Options
    char buddy ,
    Sounds Great.
    Have you tried it with Fresh water fish--like
    large mouth bass?[p]What size fish have you used?

• char buddy
    Options
    T-Bone,[p]just the sea bass (branzino) so far. If my fishing skills were any better, I'd try it on a large mouth. That might be very tasty.
    The recipe is for two one-pounders, so adjust accordingly.

• Birdman
    Birdman Posts: 66
    Options
    char buddy ,
    BTW-what is parchment paper? Does this make me illiterate?

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    birdman,Try this link, it explains it a little.
    Good weekend to ya...Painter[p]

[ul][li]parchment paper[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    char buddy,[p]I'm glad it's for 1 pound fish--for a while, I thought I'd
    have to start catching larger ones :) --as IF I had'nt been trying already.