Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

screwed up brisket?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm attempting my first brisket, and I'm worried that I screwed up the plateau. Brisket (12.5 lb packer before trimming) went on at midnight with dome temp at 250. Checked it at 2:30am, still chugging along at 250 dome. Went back to sleep, then checked it again at 5:30am. Somehow the dome temp had climbed to 295. I don't know how long it had been at that high dome temp, and I'm afraid that it blasted through the plateau too quickly by having the dome temp too high at just the wrong time. It took me a good 30-45 minutes to get the dome temp back down to 250, and I just measured 170 in the brisket.[p]Any idea if I screwed up the brisket? I plan on serving it to the in-laws for a Father's Day meal, and I'm afraid it's going to be too tough. I know I can't do anything about it now, but I was just hoping to get some feedback as to what impact the 295 dome temp for a couple hours would have. Thanks for letting me vent, I need to catch a little snooze before the kids wake up.[p]Jamey

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Jamey,
    I'm no brisket eggspert but you should be fine. the plateau should still be in effect just watch your temps and watch how fast the temp rises good luck
    Gerry

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    You'll be fine. If it's at 170, I'd wrap it in foil and check temp internal meat temp every half hour until it hits 195 - 200 which will happen fairly quickly. And when it does, remove from the egg, wrap in towels, put in cooler and take out when ready to eat. You're in good shape.[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Jamey,
    I am no eggspert either, but I agree, I think you'll be fine. For the future, three words come to mind:[p]"The BBQ Guru"[p]I put my first egged brisket on yesterday at 1:30pm (egg is a week old); 14 lbs before trimming, fat side down. I attached the pit probe to the grill about 3" from the brisket (still over the plate setter) and set it for 200F; had a drip pan under the brisket with apple juice in it. I used soaked Pecan and Jack Daniels Oak whiskey barrel chips for smoke. The dome temp ran ~250 or lower most of the time, The meat probe hit 190F at 8:30 this morning. The brisket is presently foiled, toweled and sitting fat side up in a styrofoam ice chest. About to put 3 racks of babybacks on for a 2:2:1. [p]I have a confident feeling that both of our father's day lunches are going to be awesome!! Can't beat that Guru, though... highly suggest you check into it; it is the s#*t for low and slow!! I am very tickled with the ease... and the peaceful night's sleep I got![p]TD

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    d7389712.jpg
    <p />Jamey,[p]Don't know if this can apply to toady's cook for you but there are a lot of folks that cook brisket at higher temperatures. And if that doesn't seem to break all of the "brisket rules", the internal temperatures are monitored in the point instead of the flat. Here is how they are finished out.[p]Once the internal of the point is 160, wrap the brisket in foil, add a little broth mixture and continue to cook until the internal (in the point) is 190°. Remove, wrap in towels and place in a pre-warmed cooler for 2 or 3 hours. BTW, the brisket above was started at 350°.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Wow, now I'm confused. I didn't know that the brisket temps were measured in the point and not the flat. Currently the point is at 185 and the flat is anywhere from 157 to 163, depending on where I probe it with the Thermapen. I was planning on going by the flat temperature since it was lower, but now maybe not. If the point hits 190 while the flat is much lower, do I pull the whole thing or do I need to separate them and cook the flat more? [p]This is my first brisket, and I always assumed that the thinner flat would cook faster, but I guess not in this case.[p]Thanks for your help, I'm pretty confused -- but I'm sure part of that is from the lack of sleep while checking the cook last night.[p]
    Jamey

• thirdeye
    Options
    Jamey,[p]Since you thought there was a problem in your cook, I was giving some reinforcement by bringing up the fact that there is not just one way to cook brisket. I probably confused you with what I was saying about breaking the rules. Sorry about that. Typically, briskets are cooked at low & slow temperatures and the internal temperature is monitored in the flat (right behind where the two muscles overlap).[p]When the high temp method is used, THAT is when internal temps are monitored in the point. Starting off at higher pit temps keeps the temps of the point and flat closer together.[p]Since all you had was a spike in pit temperature, I'm not sure if the foil finish method used when cooking with the high temp technique will be of help to you, especially after seeing the actual differences between your point and flat readings. (it is possible that your point reading is a false high. Points are loaded with areas of fat that will give a high reading)[p]In all actuality, it looks like you are in better shape than you thought. The 157° to 163° may very well be within the plateau. Keep monitoring the flat temp. And keep us posted....We all learn a thing or two when reading about other folk's experience. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Okay, thank you for clarifying that. I feel better now and I think that it's getting close to being done. It has been 11 hours and the flat temp is now up to 184-187. [p]I sure would have slept easier if the Stoker that I ordered 2 weeks ago had arrived Friday instead of this coming Tuesday. But this way I'll appreciate it that much more on the next lo-and-slo. :)[p]Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it turns out.[p]
    Jamey

• thirdeye
    Options
    dc6392cd.jpg
    <p />Jamey,[p]Okay good. Now for the next variable in the equation. That point will make some delicious burnt ends. Are you familiar with them?? BE's are barbecue in my book.[p]Below is my how to that will get you in the ball park.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

[ul][li]Burnt Ends[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Things are working out well so far. I pulled the brisket at ~192 (12 hour cook), wrapped it with foil and towels, and put it in a warm cooler. I took your advice and let it sit for about an hour, then cut off the point and chopped it up and put it on the grill. The burnt ends have been on for an hour and a half, and I'm going to add the sauce soon. I'm not sure yet how the flat turned out, but the samples I had from the point were great. [p]
    Thanks for the help,[p]Jamey

• thirdeye
    Options
    Jamey,[p]Burnt ends are a real crowd pleaser.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~