Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

36 pounds of pork shoulder

egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my wifes nephew is having a graduation party tommorrow. I have the part of cooking a small portion of pork shoulder for about 120 people. Since there are so many other food there, not everyone will have the pork, but better to be safe than sorry, right?[p]We wanted about 30 pounds...4 7.5# shoulders or 5 6-6.5# shoulders.
well the butcher only had 8.95# and up. So we got 4 of them between 8.95 and 9.45 pounds.[p]Cooking this on my large with a grid extender.[p]here they aregetting ready....[p]20070616%20pork%20shoulders%20001.jpg[p]now the grill getting warm...[p]20070616%20pork%20shoulders%20004.jpg[p]nice and cozy
20070616%20pork%20shoulders%20006.jpg[p]
20070616%20pork%20shoulders%20007.jpg[p]
all tucked in..[p]20070616%20pork%20shoulders%20008.jpg[p]
hopr this works, it is a lot for the large[p]

Comments

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    egghead2004,[p]I like the amount of smoke coming out, seems just right. Would you mind going over how much wood you used with the lump and if it was chips or chunks? I am not new to smoking but new to using the large egg. Anything else you can share on getting the smoke constant would be great.[p]Thanks,[p]Brian
  • Brian,
    It depends on the cook. For the pulled pork, 20 - 24 hours is the norm, but only an hour or so of smoke from wood is really what you want. So I built the lump coal large chunks on the bottom, with a few little ones mixed in, we don't want lots of airspce to kallow the filre to go out.
    Then medium in the middle and small on top, all the way up to the top of the fire ring.[p]Then I lit the fire, and controled it until 230 dome was established with the platesetter in the egg.[p]I pulled the plate setter out and put one 3*3*3 chunk of hickory right in the middle of the lump. I just sort of pushed it in there.[p]Thats it.[p]But for chickens, then a smaller piece should be used.[p]Like I said, it depends on the meat and the length you have to cook it.[p]My trouble right now is that I have to open the vents far beyond normal to get it over 200 dome. This is the most meat I have ever done at once.[p]I hope I have answered your question.[p]
    Thanks

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    egghead200f,[p]Thanks for going into detail, I really appreciate it.[p]Take care,[p]Brian
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    egghead2004,
    be CAREFUL!!!!!! it does not look lke you have a drip pan in there..... i put 40lbs of boston butt on with no drip pan
    DSCN0084.jpg
    and as you can tell i didn't either
    DSCN0083.jpg
    the pork turned out fantastic but the resulting grease fire after was detremental to my gasket!!![p]so BE CAREFUL!! [p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb