Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Migon?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wanting to do Filets this weekend, But my bud say he ate some that were done with rock salt? I have never used rock salt so I am lost. Also would like to know ideas about rubs? marinade? seasoning? Thanks for any help dc

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    DC, thats cruel..he should be turned in to the Filet Mignon rescue league. Thats the PCTFL.Kidding ya..
    IMO,,a filet mignon needs nothing more than a good dose of olive oil, rubbed in fresh ground peppercorn, and kosher salt to taste and a wrap or two of bacon. Or a coating of Char-Crust Garlic and Peppercorn seasoning. Oooooh la la...What time is lunch??
    I will leave the rock salt and salt crust to others..
    Cheers..
    C~W

• Uncle Dave
    Uncle Dave Posts: 54
    DC,
    Try that olive oil coating with a dose of Montreal Steak seasoning. Use pecan wood for the smoke . It is a winner. Goog luck Uncle Dave

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Uncle Dave, bout time you signed in again..just when I was dousing the lights..:-)
    Cheers atcha..come back again..and I will eat Filet at your house too..heeeeya..
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    DC,[p]I am more traditional. Really hot fire about 700-900 deg and make sure the meat is 2" thick or close. Thin steaks at these temps over cook fast. The F.M. takes longer than others to cook because they are thick and lean. I add sea salt and lots of pepper. I do mine with no dwell, just flip until done. I like a heavy seared outside and med inside. They take about 10-14 min (thick ones). Some sear for 4 min per side and dwell (close up the Egg top and bottom) and add some wood chips for 5-9 min until done. Be really really careful when opening the Egg after doing the smoking dwell - burp the Egg first (open the top and bottom and then open the dome) or you will get a nasty flash-back. Whhoooooommpp.[p]Tim -- anti whoooommmp
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    DC,[p]The egg does such great steaks, why mess with the rock salt?! I wrap em in bacon (like C~W and others recommend)
    and sear em![p]Smokey

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    DC,
    I agree with everyone so far, just keep the steaks simple and cook them at a high temperature. I put some clarified butter on the steaks immediately after taking them off of the grill.[p]As for the rock salt, salt encrusting is something that is better left to Prime Rib. I guess that you could salt encrust a whole tenderloin and then roast it. It actually sounds interesting.[p]Happy Searing,
    RhumAndJerk

• thanks dudes, got 4 monsters waiting on me, also gonna try "car wash mike" grilled zuccinni as well! Have a great weekend out