Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggccessories

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,[p]I joined the group yesterday as a new user, I've been reading through a lot of posts and checking out some photos of your eggs. Mr. Beer's setup resembles mine, even the snow is likely in the near future, being here in Utah and all.[p]I am writing to see what the popular accessories are and what are recommended buys. I bought a 48" redwood table made for the BGE from DPK Industries, the BGE fits perfect. I also purchased the dual function metal top , hinge upgrade and ash tool. Right now I am winging it because the dealer did not have any precision temperature gauges or vinyl covers in stock, so those items are on backorder. It will be nice when the temperature gauge gets here so I can really start cooking. I am using the ceramic feet under the egg on the redwood shelf, I had a 10" round x 3/4" clay disc made up to put underneath the egg to act as a heatsink as the manual says there is a chance the wood could burn. Has anyone ever had that happen? I am also thinking about buying the grill gripper, is that a useful tool? From reading the posts about the grates cracking, maybe I might buy one of those cast iron grates as well, is that an item that is ordered from BGE?[p]That's all I can think of for now, I'll check back later...[p]Peabrain out...

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Peabrain, The BGE dome thermometer is a must and is one of the best on the market..When you get it, pretest it in boiling water. Hold the tip in about a inch or so in the water, never allow it to rest on the bottom or close to the edge of the pan. You will get a false reading..If the thermometer is off from the 212 temp (adjust for sea level) then use a small wrench and adjust the nut on the dial stem just a tiny bit to fix the needle to 212. This should stay pretty good for a few years, depending.[p]I would use the ceramic grate that you get with the BGE. It works well as long as you keep large size chunks of charcoal in the bottom for starters. Use smaller chunks and fine charcoal for top dressing your charcoal after ignition. It will serve you nicely till you change grates later on if desired. Just stir your left over charcoal to rid the grate of the small hole pluggers and ash.[p]If your using the feet, you will not need additional heat barrier under the BGE. Especially if you leave a small amount of ash in the pit..This ash will act as a super insulator for any accessive heat. In doing that, I have held my hand underneath with 700 degree fire burning and its just warm to the touch. I also use the feet, and nothing else and the only scorch I have is from a hot ember coming out of the ash pit door onto the cedar planking.[p]Once you get your Polder or meat thermometer accessories your pretty much set except for extra grills, Pizza Stones, etc.
    Its all in how you wish to set up your system and cooks. If you see something here on the forum, or visit Tim M's or Gfw's websites for visual aids, and you need help..yell out.
    Cheers..C~W[p]BTW..grate breakage is very minimal and covered under your warranty..[p][p]

• Smokin' Todd
    Options
    sm-unoff_14.jpg
    <p />Peabrain,
    From my 10 month eggperience, i feel the only reqired eggccessory is the temp gauge. EVen though for the past 5 months Cornfed and I have been Egging without a gauge(out of commission due to a serious fall) and still come up with the most Eggliscious results, it's always best to know exact temperature for low and slow cooks. For high heat cooks, such as steaks, the gauge isnt a total nesscessity(just open both vents for 20 minutes for assured high temp for seering)
    Other then the gauge, the rest is for convienence.
    On another note u can get a little stage(patio will do just fine), a chair(any will do) and a microphone for the above Man to do some serious acoustic rock N roll as u egg. If that is a little too much, just pop in some bootlegs as u Egg,,,the Eggperience is in a different light:)
    ST(E2K bound)

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Peabrain,
    The grate grabber, or grill gripper, is a really good tool to have. Otherwise you have to throw the grill onto the Egg. It also helps if you have to remove the grill to replenish the coals during cooking.[p]Other neat accessories are a drip pan, a V-rack, a plate sitter, maybe a pizza stone, 3 firebricks and/or the new grill extender. I also use an electric charcoal starter; I'm on my third one so I keep a spare under the table to avoid that aggravating last minute trip to WalMart.[p]As for the cast iron grate, my ceramic grate is lasting very well. I think that if it doesn't break right away it should stand up. If you drop it, it will break.[p]Toys are good.[p]JimW

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Peabrain,[p] Sounds like you're off to a great start. To answer some of your questions:[p]1. The grid lifter is a good tool. It's relatively cheap and makes lifting the grid very easy.[p]2. AS C-W said, you should be fine with the ceramic feet as long as there is a bit of ash in the bottom of the BGE. I built a table out of pressure treated lumber and set my BGE in it on just the ceramic feet. Made three batches of steaks (the BGE was at 700+ degrees for well over 40 minutes) on New Year's Eve and the wood was only warm. Keep an eye on it the first couple times just in case -- there was a post last year (do an archive search for the "Ring of Fire" thread) about someone's table starting to smoke![p]3. The cast-iron grate is not a BGE item. See the link I posted below for the web address of the company that sells them.[p]Also, I'd recommend getting some firebricks and another grid to cook indirect. Firebricks are cheap and available at your local brickyard. You can get a cheap stainless extra grid from Home Depot or Wal*Mart. See TimM's site for pictures of indirect setups. Other than that, you're good to go. You'll figure out the other things you need as you learn. You might get a cheap oven thermometer or something to get you by until the BGE one arrives. Also, you can stick a Polder probe through a potato and put it on the grid to track low-and-slow temperatures.[p]Happy Egging![p]MikeO

[ul][li]Cast-Iron Trivet Link[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Peabrain,[p]First of all, taking note of the TIME of your post, 00:51:12, GO TO SLEEP!!!! Hehehehe[p]Seriously now, I've had my egg since Christmas, santa got me mine. I have a medium with just the regular ceramic top and the ash tool, the latter being almost indespensable. The slide daisy is on hold, have been using a firebrick on the top (mainly to save my ceramic top from inevitable breakage) and it works great. However, speaking of firebrick, definitely get something for cooking indirect. I have 6 bricks, two thick ones and 4 thin ones, works perfect for setting the medium up for indirect cooking. I put two of them flat on the grill, put two on their sides so it makes a "U" on the grill, then set another grill on top of that. I think TimM has some excellent pictures of this setup on his web page, go take a look, can't think of a better way to setup the BGE for indirect.[p]I got my brick at a local chimney shop, looked forever and this was where they were. Hope this saves you some time. I paid a buck and a half each for them if I remember right. The second grill or grate can be purchased at Wal Mart, BGE, or any number of places.[p]Just my 2 pennies - NOW GET SOME SLEEP!!!![p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    MikeO,[p]I should have just put ditto marks on your post MikeO, great minds think alike I guess.[p]Troy
  • dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Options
    Peabrain,
    King Arthur Flour has Polders at a good price (about $25 including shipping) I ordered one on a Wednesday and had it in hand on Friday. They are a must have also, IMO...
    dan_c[p]

• Sprinter,[p]Couldn't sleep, must have had egg on the brain...[p]I'm going to research more on "indirect cooking". What kind of food are we talking about here, is it like pizza and things like that? Everybody seems to be impressed with thier pizza's, once the temp gauge gets here I think I'm going to scare up a round pizza stone, I already use a square one in the conventional oven, but it might be too big, I'll have to check...[p]Peabrain out...

• sprinter
    Options
    Peabrain,[p]All of the low and slow cooks should be done on an indirect basis. Now that I say that, someone will show me an example where thats not the case but I am willing to learn. Low and slow over indirect keeps the meat from drying out during the 2 or more hours a pound it takes to make a good brisket or Boston Butt (pulled pork). Guys here do butts for 18 to 20 hours, briskets a similar abount of time, generally over an indirect setup with a dome temp at about 180 to 200 degrees. Talk about a gastronomic delight. Check it out and feel free to holler back to the group with questions.[p]Troy
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Well, you asked. ;-} I do butts direct at a grill temp of 230-240 (which roughly translates to a dome temp of 260-270). I did one indirect & didn't notice any difference in juiciness or texture. [p]Briskets I do indirect over a water-filled drip pan. This is a much leaner cut than pork butt, so more prone to drying out.[p]Cathy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Cat,[p]See, there you go. You learn something new every day whether you want to or not. I guess I'm a little bit gun shy after my first attempt at a brisket, done direct, that was less than stellar - edible mind you, but less than stellar. I cooked it for about 18 hours and it was way overdone. I've done many since then but never any more direct, only indirect. Never tried a Butt direct, thought it would turn out like the Brisket but you have piqued my interest. Thanks for the lesson.[p]Troy
  • Randman
    Options
    Peabrain, I have the same table as you purchased. Very nice. The only time the table has even smoldered is from high heat cooking with the bottom vent open. Some sparks got out and burned a divot in the table. I now keep a small firebrick flat on the shelf in front of the vent.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Peabrain,
    A big welcome! I hope that you enjoy the cooking roller coaster here as much as I do.[p]My suggestions for essential eggessories are as followed: A set of good sharp knives and a good butcher.[p]The first is a needed tool no matter what you are cooking. A sharp knife is a safe knife.[p]The second is a necessity. You are going to start talking in terms that only a good butcher will understand. Starting with quality meat leads to quality meals. Besides, the butcher will be able to pick out the better cuts of meat in the case. You will be amazed when you hear the butcher say, “No, you don’t want that. Here try this instead.” Another reason to buy from a butcher is that you can see the meat when you buy it. When you buy supermarket-packaged meat, you only see one side of the meat and it is the best side. There is no telling what is on the other side. Also, when you go to a good butcher and do not see what you want he will cut it for you. Steaks and Chops that are cooked on the egg are best when cut thick one-and-a-half to two inches, it makes a big difference.[p]Welcome,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Teslamania
    Options
    Peabrain,
    Welcome. Don't forget about cook books. There is a book listed under accessories i believe - by the Jamesons - Smoke and Spice and / or Sublime smoke. They will get your juices going. All sorts of ideas! Check back often and post your questions.

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Peabrain,
    Welcome to the forum! The temperature gauge is probably the most important item that you can get. I used my egg for about a year before I got an ash tool. The hinge upgrade is very nice, I've been told. I have had it since I got my egg in Sept. 98 so I have never eggsperienced the old hinge. I use the daisy wheel top (didn't have the dual daisy/slide top when I got my egg). I find that you can control temperature fairly well without a top if you want.
    The table that my egg sits in I made myself out of pressure treated decking lumber. Having been a carpenter in one of my past lifes I probably over engineered it but it works and looks good.[p]Don't have a grill gripper but one would probably come in handy. Been thinking about gettting a cast iron grate - they are not made by BGE. They are actually a trivet to keep hot pots from burning your table made by Lodge (a major manufacturer of cast iron utensils).[p]Mr Beer