Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Attention Newbies et al

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMHO this forum is for asking dumb questions. However frustrated some of 'old guys' may seem to get with your questions we have to remember we once asked the same ones! I would like to suggest that Newbies at least read the stoopid book BGE sends with the Eggs first. (Forget the recipes though, they suck).[p]Ask your questions and if that grumpy ol' Celtic Rooster gets snippy ignore him but, remember, his blood sugar gets a little low sometimes and we just need to humor him a bit. [p]No one, including Omba, has ever asked dumber questions than I asked starting almost 10 years ago, so if I seem snippy sometimes ignore me too. We really like all of you newbies we just don't want to let you off easy - part of your rite of passage so to speak.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Sundown,
    i remember getting stomped on about 6 years ago on this forum, its much friendlier now imho. with the newbies, you have to remember some have never bbq'd low and slow, they may have come from gassing grilled hot dogs and hamburgers and steaks and had no idea what a low and slow was, high temp searing, pizza making etc. then you have to think that folks from different parts of the contry take things differently, from a newengland yankee viewpoint, celtic wolf is joking and jesting, from other parts of the country i could see it being taken the wrong way. i find it amazing that the forum flows as well as it does with so many personalities

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AuntieEgger
    AuntieEgger Posts: 258
    Hi Sundown you’re a sweetheart, Thank you for your kind words to us Newbies as they say patients is a virtue!
    I have had my New BGE for three weeks now and so far I have found all the information I have needed on this forum and or have been directed through other posts to other web sites for recipes.
    I am enjoying all the pictures and advice from everyone on this forum.[p]I’m just as green and my BGE right now but I’m learning. I have found that your so right about the Stupid book that comes with the BGE I have looked through it and have chosen to ignore it and go with what the experienced users here have to say instead. [p]Thank you for all the advise from everyone I’m sure it is well appreciated by all the Newbies me included. After all I may have a stupid question or two along the way.

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Sundown,[p]Everyone has been very kind in answering my questions. I have started keeping my own notebook with recipes, information, websites, etc. Hopefully if I keep exploring, cooking & reading I too will someday be an Eggspert.....[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Sundown,
    Just a clarification point. The new manual does not umm... "suck" anymore. It has been redone and all of the recipes now are awesome.[p]They have been shipping with the new EGGs for a while but I imagine there are still a bunch of the other manual out there.[p]The new manual and cookbook is not spiral bound so you can tell the difference. You can call the retail storte and order a new one if you'd like.

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Bobby-Q,
    do you have that book in pdf form that can be downloaded for those folks that have had their egg for a while?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Sundown,
    although i think most of my questions are inherently stooopid, i turned up some older posts of mine that are true howlers, though i don't remember getting "stomped on" as you say you did.[p]there were a couple posts the last few weeks where it looked like a noob or two got ran over (or worse, ignored), and that surprised me. [p]i think the forum was a (little) bit more approachable somehow before, but thankfully the 'regulars' seem to be reserving the grief they hand out for other regulars.[p]the only dynamic that has really changed in say the last year, is that the posts are just flying by. end of the day, you need to really scroll to see something from the morning. that's good and bad. means it's an active forum. but noobs might get a little nervous seeing all the regulars going back and forth and might be afraid to jump in.[p]personally, i'm going to be a bit more judicious about my postings, so that i don't add as much to the chatter as i do. trying to make more room for newbs, i guess.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    whoops
    that was fishless that said he got stomped on.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Sundown,[p]'Celtic Rooster' Is that me or the Spring Chicken? He's Celtic to you know..[p]I promise not to post before Caffeine!! However, I reserve the right to pick on Chubby and Stike regardless of Caffeine or Sugar levels..[p]Ohhh I have seen the new manual.. It doesn't suck anymore..[p]

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Hey Bobby,
    I've seen that new book with my friends new Egg that I picked up for her. Your right it doesn't suck anymore. Very very very very very good now as a matter of fact.[p]I think Ray and a few others may have issue with the new one "sucking" :>)[p]H

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    stike,
    Yeah, I always thought there was no such thing as a stupid question, until I read a few of yours. Wow![p]More judicious about posting? Ah, you big kidder you.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    stike,
    i think it was about food safety in boneless pork butts where air may be trapped inside and the meat temps in those pockets not getting past 140 in the first 4 hours. back in those days most posts were telling folks to cook at dome temps of 220, not the 250 dome temp most preach today. never got my answer, but did get about 20 or so posts of negativity before someone pointed out that my question was read wrong in the first place. i tend to recall mostly good things from the past, but i do remember that posts were deleted all the time, i missed so much bickering during the night hours back then. the bickering now pales in comparrison.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    BurntRaw,
    i think EVERY post of mine for the first six months began "what time and temp for a..."[p]how long for a burger? indirect? direct? raised? top open? etc. etc.[p]something magic kicks in though (witness flashback bob) and you just drop into a groove and start thinking "open, light, toss it on, flip once" etc.[p][p]

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Sundown,
    ... not even omba?
    Wow!
    I feel much better now. :-)
    So ... when does that handshake tutoring start?
    (Or was that a dumb question?)
    And what is that silver door on the bottom for anyway?
    (Celtic Wolf never told me.)[p]All smiles,
    Peter

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    stike,
    I'm always getting stepped on! :-)
    cockroach.jpg:-)
    Peter

• stike
    omba,
    doood. that photoshop work was FLAWLESS. i could use some help over here!

• swamprb
    swamprb Posts: 97
    Sundown,
    Now you tell me!
    Thanks for the warning.

• Sundown,[p]I agree with you statement 100% as I had asked many of the same questions over and over to understand the process. However, I think with the new forum's Search tool newbies can use that first as typing in boston butt or brisket or ribs will get them a huge amount of info. Wish I had it 4 yrs ago when I was only able to use the Google search[p]Howard