Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking fresh ham on bge

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any advice on cooking a fresh ham on bge? have previously cooked in open pit but never on egg. Please help.

Comments

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Hugh Pace,[p]Try the Dizzy Pig website...with pictures even!
    [ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesHam.html[/ul]
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    I've cooked several fresh hams on the BGE.....and this is a match made in heaven....And visiting the DP site is a very good idea.....Keep this in mind....Hams are different from shoulders or butts....They're leaner on the inside even though they have heavy fat caps....These are best 'roasted' or cooked hot and fast....350 - 375 dome and pulled off at 155 degrees internal....I like to inject mine with pure apple juice....Score the fat cap in a diamond pattern....cover entirely with yellow mustard....cover heavily with your favorite dry rub....and of course I like the DP line....[p]And for what it's worth I've brined a couple of fresh hams prior to cooking but it didn't make much difference in cooking performance or taste......[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Hugh Pace,
    This is for Fresh Ham not a smoked one.Scrub the ham down really good and dry.Trim any loose fat.
    Cut garlic into match stem size slivers to get 1/4 cup.
    Cut green scallions into 1 inch long pieces to get 1/2 cup.
    With a thin sharp knife cut 1 inch deep holes every two inches over the ham.While the blade is in the hole,force the cut to open to allow a piece each of garlic and onion .Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    Cook indirfect at 350 using hickory,oak and apple-just a little.
    Cook fat side up for about three hours.It takes about 15-18 minutes a lb.
    After three hours or so check the temp. of the ham.With a sharp knife cut a diamond pattern into the fat-about 1/8 inch deep.
    Brush on a well blended warm mixture of 1 jar mustard and an eual amount of rasberry,peach,plum, ar apricot jam and a dash of cayenne.If you want to dress it up stick a whole clove into each diamond.
    Close the dome and let cook till center reaches 150.Remove and let rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.Dont forget to put a water pan under the ham to catch the drippings.I usually put 1 cup apple juice and 1/2 cup water in the pan.
    Enjoy.
    PS the Dizzy Pig ham is a smoked ham,not fresh.

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Hugh Pace,[p]Below is the recipe in the "submitted recipe" area of the forum. I have done this glaze many times with a fresh ham. I should also say that a cook a fresh ham once a year on Easter. Usually I cook it indirect at a temp similar to what you would with an oven. I rub it with mustard and sprinkle a sweet/sugary rub on it. I usually put some smoke on it too. However, my advice is to go easy on the smoke. Just a touch is all you need. Too much and it can become over bearing. I finish it with this glaze. This glaze makes it unbelievable!!!!!!!!![p]
    This mix will give the TASTE of the famous "HONEY BAKED HAM"[p]Ingredients:
    • 1 Cup granulated sugar
    • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
    • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
    • ¼ tsp ground cloves
    • 1/8 tsp paprika
    • 1 Dash ground ginger
    • 1 Dash ground allspice[p]Preparation Directions:
    • season a pork picnic with Lowery's Season salt- then injected with chicken broth (½ cup)[p]Cooking Directions:
    • Smoke indirectly @ 225F with soaked Maple wood chips.
    • Pull from BGE @ 165F internal temp[p]Special Instructions:
    • After resting 30min, slice accross the grain to the bone& coat the top/sides with above mix.
    • using the mapgas torch, set to a light blue flame (not forcefull as if lighting lump), carefully glaze the mix onto the pork picnic