Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Pizza on Mini Egg

Options
Alan
Alan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just got back from a "camping" trip in our RV, with the mini. I cooked a mini version of my lazy man's pizza one evening that turned out great. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. I will post some next time.[p]Here's the details to make 4 pizzas:[p]1 - can pilsbury pre-made pizza dough, divided into 4 equal parts and rolled to slightly smaller than a 6x6 unglazed ceramic tile.
1 - jar favorite pizza or spaghetti sauce
4 - pre-cooked Jimmy Dean(or equivalent) pork sausage patties, shredded/use one per pizza. I grill a whole batch at once to use later.
1 - bag shredded mozarella + parmesan cheese
Onion/Green peppers or whatever else you like to suit.[p]Spread the sauce on the pizzas, sprinkle the sausage on, add the onions & green peppers. Then add a coating of the cheese.[p]Stack 2 tiles on the cooking grid and heat to about 450. Dust with cornmeal and cook 4 minutes. I use a small pizza paddle I found at Target to put the pizzas on and off.[p]The nice thing is that all the ingredients are conveniently packaged for travel and can be prepared in advance.[p]Enjoy,
Alan

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    pizza1.jpg
    <p />Alan,
    I tried doing pizza on the MINI. The top came out well, but the bottom was completly charred. I tried using aluminum foil for one, and the other I used the bottom of the tin pan that the dough I baught came in from the pizza shop.
    So i am looking for somekind of plate to cook them on.
    Did u use the same tile used in bathrooms?
    ST

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Alan, now thats the best use if tile I have seen yet..:-)
    I think as time moves on and the BGE family grows and prospers, that its the intuitive innovations that one finds to create great cooks with that makes this forum most interesting. Yours is one of em.
    Its also surprising to me how these innovations eventually wind up in commercial applications all thru the grilling industry..I think we are being watched...intently.
    Cheers to ya all...
    Char-Woody
    U 2 ST...heeeyaaa.

• Alan
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]The tile I used was about 3/8" thick, and more of a floor tile. The bathroom style tile is too thin to work very well. I bought them at Home Despot for .60 each and stacked 2. You have to look closely to tell glazed vs unglazed on some floor tiles.[p]I actually am about to do some tile in my house, so while I have the wet saw rented, I'm going to get a 12" tile and try and cut a circle sized for the mini.[p]The trick is to watch the time carefully... 30 seconds can make a difference. Also be liberal with the cornmeal.[p]Cheers,
    Alan

• Alan
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks a bunch![p]I'm going to try and cut a 12" tile to fit the mini. At a buck apiece, I figure I can break a few to get a mini pizza stone.[p]I've also gotten hooked on the pilsbury dough. It's really good, cheap, and easy. It doesn't get any better...[p]Cheers,
    Alan

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Alan, I agree commercial flour has improved...my favorite doughs for pizza is King Arthur flour. I will try Pillsbury, if you try KA's...:-) In fun of course.
    Spin has a excellent flour in the recipe section. It too has worked well for me in the past.
    If you really want a treat, try Troy's (Sprinter) Calazone in the mini...much easier to do and very tasty. Use the same crust as pizza.
    Cheers...keep up the good work..
    C~W