Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg - Need Help with Temperature Control!!

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I finally succumbed to the 5 year temptation since learning about the egg-sistence of the BGE. I got a Large in the Cypress table (very nice!). Upon getting it home yesterday, I put just a little lump in it (2 lbs?), and lit it off, burned it up with the bottom damper about 1/3 open, top daisies all the way open. Didn't pay much attention to it, just wanted to season it a little. Got up early this morning (couldn't wait, actually!), loaded her up to just above the holes in the ceramic (per instructions) and lit off just the center of it. I let it burn lid open for 5 to 7 minutes, then closed it down. Set the bottom damper about 1" open, and the top daisies about 1/2 way open. It settled around 325 degrees (too hot for what I want to do). So, I closed both openings about to 1/2 of initial. Over time, it came down to ~300 degrees. Closed them more... now bottom damper is only about 1/8 of an inch open, top daisies about 1/16" inch, each! It is still holding around 250 degrees. I would like to get it down to ~200 degrees, but I'm afraid closing it any more will suffocate the coals, eventually. That's the setup, now the question - for ~200 degrees, what are your damper and flue settings??? Based on my current settings, do I have an air leak? Too much charcoal in it? What? Please help!![p]Tony

Comments

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Tony,
    Everything you're doing sounds reasonable. One problem: once you've gotten the egg hot, it is hard to get the temp down to the really low levels you're shooting for. The ceramic itself will hold heat for quite a while. If you want to go to 200-250, it is much easier to do this by catching the temp on the way up. It's not a matter of too much charcoal. It can't burn any faster than the oxygen you've allowed it to have. It could be a leak. Toss in a handful of wood chips and see where the smoke comes out. Others may chime in, but I have never been able to keep a steady temp at 200. I can do 225 and I never see much reason to go lower. Just my thoughts.
    Paul

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Essex County,
    Actually, you can close the bottom vent more. On a long low and slow, mine's open about a credit card thickness.
    Paul

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Tony,[p]Contrary to the instructions, you need more lump. Fill the firebox. Any left-over can be used again. For long cooks the lump level will be halfway up the fire ring.[p]Try to catch your pit temperature on the way up. As you have seen it takes a while for it to come down.[p]As far as vent settings, those settings are normal. Close the lower vent some more if you want the pit temp to drop a bit. You must have built a good fire.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Tony
    Options
    Wow - that was quick replies... and very helpful!! I was wondering if I let too much get going before closing her down; the thought of the ceramic holding heat and being a bit deceiving about what was really happening did occur to me, which is why I was hesitant to close her down any more. However, the specific reply about the bottom damper being open a credit card thickness for low and slow is *precisely* what I was looking for. ~25 years of grilling and smoking, I've never had anything that would light off and burn for 10 to 15 hours at a constant temp without lot's of constant TLC... which is a real PITA! If this thing works as advertised, I can guarantee smoking will become a much more frequent deal around this house![p]Thanks again, everyone![p]Tony
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Tony,
    I don't think you ever need 200 or lower unless you are trying to cool smoke meat or cheese. I am a strong believer in loading the Egg to the top of the fire ring every time I light it. Unused lump will be used the next time but you will not have to worry about fire going out. I like to light the lump over the entire surface and not just the middle. Makes for more even fire or heat. Another thing I have found that works for me, unless I am doing an overnight or low and slow, I don't use the daisy. leave the top open and control from the bottom. I just did some Ribbbbbbbs and they were perfect with the top off. Another reason I like to keep the daisy off is to give me a peek at the meat if I want to without raising the dome. I believe the Egg is all about experimenting and fun doing it. [p]Chef Jerry

• Tony
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    Thanks Jerry... I am not even planning to cook today; have a photo gig to shoot at a good friend of mine's parents 50th Wedding Anniversary and Vow Renewal; I'm loading up for that event, now. Agree that 200 is rarely required - but occassionally it is, as you suggest. I mainly wanted to burn it today to further season it, and to begin to learn it a bit. I dailed the damper down to ~credit card size opening, barely cracked the diasies; she slowly descended to 210 degrees and has been siting the solid as a rock for about an hour. The coals have barely been burned... if it burns this whole load like that, I can tell eating heaven is just around the corner!! Next weekend for father's day - succulent brisket done for 12 to 14 hours, followed by some 3 to 4 hour babybacks! Yippee![p]Thanks again to all...
    Tony

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    fill to the top of the (upper) fire ring? every time/[p]you must mean the lower fire box, no??

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Tony,
    can't add anything to what's been said other than this:[p]you can't snuff the fire if the egg isn't shut. almost shut? barely open except for a teensy bit? still counts as open, especially if you have a fire established and you are trying to come down

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante