Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky Question

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How does one know when to pull the jerky off the egg? What is the texture supposed to be?[p]My set up is indirect with an inverted plate setter. The strips of meat hang from the grid using toothpicks. The grid sits upon the inverted plate setter. Temp is about 275.[p]Thanks, Banker John

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Banker John,
    That is going to cook quick. I shoot for around 175. I go by look and feel.[p]Mike

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    So what is the look & feel??? Can you describe this to us?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    himountain.jpg
    <p />Banker John,
    If you use a sugar based marinade, make sure they don't get to black looking. Have a dried out "look". The jerky should feel firm.[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    P?dc=4675603988479232026
    <p />Hi Banker John, Long time bro. You and your family were missed at the eggfest this year--and your pizza. The link below is how I do jerky. [p]I'm shooting for a similar size and texture of most store bought jerkys, but with far superior flavor. I'm also shooting for "dried meat" which adds to the shelf life and allows me to carry it around unrefrigerated. [p]With that being said, I agree with Mike that your temps are too high. Your meat will be more "cooked" than "dried". [p]Either way, it will be a delicious product. I have a friend in Michigan that does all his jerky at 200. It is much more meaty than mine and I love it.
    Scott

[ul][li]Joiky link![/ul]