Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buffalo chuck roast

Options
Eggin in Peoria
Eggin in Peoria Posts: 262
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
was thinking of trying clay q's pulled beef with a buffalo chuck roast? Anyone try this with success. [p]Tim

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,[p]I've cooked a number of different cuts of bison on the egg with great results. I do a pot roast 4 or five times a year. Do bison just like you would beef.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,[p]Having not had really good pulled beef or bison, I intend to use ClayQ's method next time, hoping for a breakthru.[p]What I know about bison chuck is this. It appears there are at least 2 cuts that are called chuck. They are very similar, but one has a bone, and both have a really thick seam of gristle. In the most recent ones I did, the gristle was so thick and tough, it was almost a bone.[p]I've brined them, hoping to put a little more moisture in, to offset the lack of fat. That was a small improvement. Bison chuck has almost no fat marbling, just cartiledge. So its hard to cook them long enough to break down the cartiledge without drying them out.[p]If you cook them less, to an internal of about 145, much of the meat will be really good, but there will be a lot of tough sections than have to be tossed, or added to a crock-pot stew. Think chewing on really sweet leather, but leather none-the-less.[p]So I believe the ClayQ method of finishing them in a Dutch oven, or at least a foil pouch would be a good direction to go.[p]Alternatively, maybe inject them with an oil-spice solution.[p]gdenby

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    gdenby,[p]The ClayQ method is very good and I really like it with an ordinary cut like a beef chuck roast. Bison on the other hand has a delicate flavor and I feel that the tomato based sauce and maple syrup may disguise the real flavor.[p]A braise works good with a bison roast, either in a covered roaster or in foil. I like to flavor smoke it until it is in the 150° neighborhood and finish with braising. This combination of flavors will work well with a bison roast. The amounts of spices are a guideline based on a 5 pound roast. Enough broth or broth/beer mix must be added to allow it to simmer. Maybe 1-1/2" deep in a covered pot, a cup or so in a foil pouch. [p]1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 onion, chopped fine (or several green onions with tops)
    salt to taste
    beef broth
    beer (optional)[p]~thirdeye~[p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery