Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock that bird!

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Washinton Post must be reading my mind, or spying on me. :) There's an article in yesterday's Food section about my new favorite way of grilling a whole chicken: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13217-2001Jul3.html[p]There's also an article about some guys in Delaware who barbecue chicken: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A13225-2001Jul3.html
[ul][li]Spatchcock[/ul]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    BluesnBBQ, Now thats "dang" interesing...The problem I see with this one is that direct may produce the results he has, but to me, with the BGE..doing the cook indirect would still produce the excellent results at a higher temperature. I am gonna try that on a nice sized broiler bird..8 lb or better. Another problem will be using up grill space in case you wanted to do a multi bird cook. As per anything, it will be fun to play with.
    Thanks for the new one..
    C~W[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    BluesnBBQ,
    So, I wonder if one could use a new (read: CLEAN) pair of garden pruning shears that cost $7 vs. poultry shears that the article says cost $25 to $50?
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    BluesnBBQ,
    When you spatchcock the bird, what temp and times do you use?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    BluesnBBQ, Wierd for me too. Just yesterday I gave Raichlen's new book to my father-in-law and joked that he might want to brush up on spatchcocking. He laughed and replied that he wasn't sure that that was something he wanted to know about. Bone appétit! JCA

• BluesnBBQ
    I usually cook the chickens direct at around 350, and the temperature sometimes goes up to aroun 400 (probably from the dripping grease), for about 45 minutes. I found a good pair of kitchen shears at Target for less than $10.
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    BluesnBBQ,
    How about spatchcocking a turkey?

• BluesnBBQ
    bdavidson,[p]I haven't trid that yet (a turkey), but I will one of these days.

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    BluesnBBQ,
    I have a turkey thawing in the frig as I type...I don't know if I want to try it. I'm sure it would work, but I don't think I'd have enough grillspace.