Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Great Grate Question

Options
Kamper
Kamper Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Egg Meisters,[p]Last night, whilst egging p-chops, my grate broke in half and dropped into the bottom of the fire box. My medium is about 3 and half years old and I've replaced the fire box once, but this is my first grate casualty. I've made a temporary battle repair by hooking my grate together with coat hanger wire but was wondering if those of you who have opted for the cast iron grate use it all the time, or only when blast furnace temps are required. In other words, do you recommend I buy the iron grate and forget replacing the ceramic grate, or is having both the best option? Does anyone have the web page for that hardware somewhere in Georgia that is the iron grate source? Thanks in advance...again.[p]

Comments

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Kamper, After my lg grate broke, I went with the cast iron trivet. It works very well in terms of air flow, but it turtles easily when you poke one side of it, sending the charcoal down into the clean-out. I'm not sure if this problem will happen with a medium.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Kamper,[p] Link Below . . .
    [ul][li]Trivet Source[/ul]
  • Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    Options
    Kamper,[p]My ceramic grate broke also. I replaced it with a piece of Expanded Metal. Just use your old ceramic grate for a guide for size. The problem I kept having with the expanded metal was that it would slide around in the fire box when I would stir the coals prior to lighting, to get all the ash out. Then the coals would fall into the bottom. My solution for this was to put 5 5-inch screws through the expanded metal to hold the grate in place. Works great. No (or negligable) air restriction and great stay power. If it ever wears out or burns through, the metal is not too expensive. I got the metal at Home Depot. I got pictures but haven't posted them yet. They didn't come out too good. I also have an old cast iron grate from the old style egg I used to have. It works good also but, like the trivet, tends to get pushed out of position. I still keep the trivet and old bottom for back-up. The BGE will replace your broken grate so I would suggest you get it replaced anyway and then keep it for a spare no matter what you decide to do. Send me an e-mail if you have any questions and I will try to help. May even scan the pictures (Poor as they are) and post them when I get a chance.[p]Best of luck,[p]Bryan

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Kamper, the cast iron grate is 8 inches across and the medium fire grate is only about 6 inches - BGE sent me a replacement - I had ot pay the shipping - so I had them send me 2 - next I'm going to look into the expanded metal grate.

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    Kamper,[p]I have used the expanded metal resting about an inch above my ceramic grate for months. That is, until Saturday when I decided the ceramic grate was just holding ash that would have otherwise fallen through, so I removed it. I have no intentions of removing all charcoal and swapping grates whenever I want to do a low and slow or hot and fast burn.[p]All I can add is to not use J B Weld to repair your grate. I tried it for a plate setter that had a leg broken in shipping. I lost the first pizza I tried on it.[p]Brant
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    grates.jpg
    <p />Kamper,[p]The recommended expanded metal replacement will work just fine. Or, if you have a full service/selection hardware store nearby, pick up a small piece of heavy duty screening material (off a roll - aluminum or stainless) and you can fabricate your own for 10 minutes work with tin snips and a couple of bucks.[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate1.jpg
    <p />Kamper,
    Here is a pix of the metal cast iron grate.[p]Tim

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate1.jpg
    <p />FrozenChosen,[p]I agree it possible and it happened once to me but since I learned that its possible - it has not been a problem. I pulled my cast iron grate out last week. Its not often I run totally out of lump but when I finally did last week I pulled the grate to inspect it after 7 monthes of heavy use. Its good for another 12 monthes for sure. Its taking some abuse, its bent the wrong way but still hanging in there. I can see that it will last a couple years and then need to be replaced. It looks like it needs to re flipped over now and then to keep it from stretching too much. [p]Tim M
  • Longhorn
    Options
    Tim M,[p]In the picture it looks as though there is some spacing(or daylight) between the grate and the firebox; is this the case?

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Bryan,Good solution! Do you think it would work to somehow fit the trivet with a few of the 5 inch screws to keep it from rolling?

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Longhorn, I see that too. My guess it that that space would be beneficial for more airflow and possibly less amounts of fine ash collecting. I'm on my second ceramic grate, but I have an egg store close by. If it's warranted, they should replace it. When I took my first broken grate in, the guy at the store said I probably struck it too hard and broke it. I don't think he has ever had an egg. I never strike my egg. Never, ever strike your egg. I think strong language is sufficient discipline. And if that don't help,, I'll withhold a Boston Butt for a week. Of course,, that hurts me more than the egg.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Brant, Thanks for the warning. I was just about to do that.
    Do I have your home address? If not..e.mail it too me.

• Brant,,never mind, I do have it! It was Spins I needed!

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]J B Weld claims to be good to 600 degrees, but I guess the direct heat of the fire pushes past that even though the ambient temperature is only 550 for pizza. In other words, too close to the limit for safe usage.[p]I had that plate setter and pizza stone preheating for over half an hour because I was afraid the leg would let go. Wouldn't you know that it waited until I put the pizza on and then broke less than two minutes later! And I ruined a brand new BGE oven mitt getting the setter out -- burned right through it.[p]Brant
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Brant, I thought about breaking the other two off mine and just using fire bricks to support it on three edges..I might try that instead of the fix. You have all my luck!! :-)
    C~W[p]

• Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,[p]I don't know why not. Give it a try and let me know how it works. May use my trivet if the Exp Metal gives up the ghost some day.[p]Bryan