Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulling pork

Options
MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done several butts so far and I have read several posts on pulling the pork after it is cooked, but I have never heard of anyone removing the fat as they pull it. Please don't tell me you all leave it in? I have found it best to let cool slightly and seperate all the fat from the pork. A little time consuming, but well worth the effort.
So when I am done all the fat is removed. Does everyone do that as well??[p]Just a goofy question is all.[p]Of course I normally brace myself while pulling for extra support. :>)[p]Mick

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    MickeyT.,
    I use the neoprene gloves similar to Mike O to pull/ squish my butts, I have done 5 so far and did remove the fat that I found BUT...it was such a small amount I was amazed..literally you could fit it in the palm of your hand...[p]Have you Hugged your Egg today
    Wess

• Unknown
    Options
    MickeyT., I'm in your camp with the removal of fat that remains. It seems like it is always in pocket-like areas near the bone and the surrounding tissue is quasi-meat that I also remove and pitch. Tried once being nice to my two Westies by feeding the quasi-meat to them only to find it in nice little barf piles in the next room!

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    MickeyT.,
    Yes I also make sure to pull out whatever fat is left. There is usually very little, but there's always some. When I take the butt off the cooker, I put it in a pan with a rack and cover it with foil. I let that sit for an hour and then start pulling. Of course, I've only done 3, so I wouldn't necessarily listen to me. :-)[p]Mikey[p][p]