Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Steak?

Chipper
Chipper Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Rummaging through the last of my dad's Chistmas present (a quarter of a beef that he raised and had processed close to his house) and came across a package labeled "RIB STEAK". I have not heard of this cut before. Is it another name for ribeye? Do I cook it similarly to a ribeye or would I need to do a little more prep work? [p]Thanks,
Chipper

Comments

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Chipper,
    That be the cut! That's one fine cut of meat. You're gonna LOVE it! It's our favorite.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Chipper,[p]My first guess would be yes, but considering all the regional differences in cuts of meat, I could be wrong. The only way to be sure would be a visual inspection.[p]Zip
  • Chipper,
    Here in Colorado at least, they cut what could be a standing rib roast into steaks. They come bone-in, i.e. rib bone attached, or boneless, i.e. the meat that's between the bones. I did 2 bone-in last night for dinner - just a light coating of Char-Crust applied about 30 minutes before they hit the grate at 700º. Huck is right - they're number one!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BlueSmoke,
    That is what they are here on the east coast too. Just slices of prime rib. Lots of marbling. It is one of my favorite steaks as well.
    Cheers!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Chipper,
    I've had calves/cows butchered before. It'll be a rib-eye, most likely with bone in. Problem I found with many though is they aren't as thick as we'd like. But either way, it's good meat and should be a good meal.

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Chipper,
    On second thought, I'm not at all sure what it is. It very well may be a toxic, tough cut of animal that is unusable for human consumption. Please wrap it in foil, tape it up in a styrofoam cooler and UPS it to me for inspection. I'll let you know what it is/was.