Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Order from Penzeys Spices

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a very sweet smelling box from Penzeys Spices. It is the first time I have ordered from them. Christmas in February!! This is great![p]Morocco Corriander seeds, Fenugreek, Cilantro, Chives, Rubbed Sage, Turkish Oregano, Cracked Rosemary, Savory Leaves, Black Cardamom Pods, and India Tellicherry Peppercorns.[p]All of the above, in jars, cost me 30 bucks including shipping.
This stuff looks great and smells fresh. At this point I have no problem recommending Penzeys to anyone who wants fresh spices at a fraction of the supermarket cost.[p]Spice it up!!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Funny, I just got a package (my first also) a couple of days ago. I just got some of the salad dressings as they looked good to me. They are awesome. I've been itchin' to try some of their spices also but have not yet done it. No affiliation yada yada, but they are great, great service, and the prices are good also.[p]Troy
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    Keep in mind that I have nothing against Penzeys Spices.[p]I am fortunate to live in an area that has some high quality spice vendors and the extra special chile pepper store. The thing about spices is that the longer that you keep them the less flavor they have. If you can find a spice vendor, then just buy the amount that you need. Always buy whole spices if you can and grind your own. That way you will get the full benefits of the spice. [p]Now here is my problem, I cannot practice what I preach. I have kitchen cupboards full of spices and powders.[p]I am sure that you will have a blast with all of those spices. I just started to buy Tellicherry and I really like it. It has replaced regular black pepper in my Pepper Mill.[p]Have Fun,
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    The Tellicherry Peppercorns smell incredible. And that is before they are cracked!! It will be a treat using good fresh spices. I had been using some very old corriander seeds, and other spices.[p]I didn't realize how much fresh sage smells like ben-gay!![p]Anyway, fun stuff. Thanks for the feedback.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    Sage is a very strong herb. People put it in sausage and stuffing for turkey. You are either going to love it or hate it. Before you use it, rub it between you hands in order to release the full effect.[p]A good spice vendor is almost as important as a good butcher.[p]By the way, what did you think of the squid marinade?
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Store your spices in the freezer, in airtight containers. They'll retain their potency longer than they will in the cupboard.[p]Cathy
  • Cat
    Nature Boy,[p]I'm a longtime fan of Tellicherry pepper, but have recently become addicted to the Sarawak. Try them for a change some time. [p]Cathy
  • sprinter
    Cat,[p]What if your freezer is already full of pork and beef waiting to be cooked on the BGE? Hehehe[p]Troy
  • RhumAndJerk
    sprinter,
    I resemble that remark
    RhumAndJerk

• Cat
    sprinter,[p]Defrost some pork & brine it.[p]You set yourself up for that one...;-}[p]Cathy
  • sprinter
    Cat,[p]As soon as I stop laughing I'll be able to reply, thanks, that really made my Monday.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]Oh man, I can see your gonna be really dangerous with that companies catalog. Your recipes are going to be something from now on. [p]I was wondering - since they claim to make any combination you want - if they could whip up a load of JJ's rub. I wonder how many egg'ers would buy it??[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    If JJ wanted, he could make some money with his rub. A nice label, and a little marketing and BINGO!![p]It has been tried and loved by so many. But I guess it wouldn't seem as special if you could buy it! We are lucky enough to have the recipe, and to keep it to ourselves. [p]Penzeys makes some nice combos. Since I am trying to learn my spices, I find it beneficial to create my own mixtures. [p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat, WYYYHOOOOOO! Sprinter was a little slow out of the blocks on that one. You know eggsactly how to handle them freezer congestion problems. I got, yet another, pork loin in the brine. It was a giant one and I cut it in half. My wife was so impressed with my first attempt, she ordered one to take to work. Early in the morning I will be rubbing them and plastering em with my mustard/buttermilk paste. Tomorrow evening after work,, they gets egged. I also got three slabs of baby backs in the freezer. I'm so happy! If I wuz any happier, I would go out to the road and wave at traffic..

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Nature Boy,
    I just got my snail mail catalog from Penzeys. WOW! It's going to be dangerous. My shopping list keeps getting longer every time I open the catalog up.[p]Mr Beer

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    sprinter,
    Get a bigger freezer!!!! :-)

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Tim M,
    GreatIdea. I would buy some in a heart beat. . . .
    MAC

• CC
    CC Posts: 8
    Nature Boy,
    i see fenugreek listed. what is that used for. i got some by mistake and decided to keep it rather than send it back and have'nt found out what to do with it. also the tellicherry is the best.

• Nature Boy
    CC,
    Fenugreek seeds are combined with other spices for curry powder. Also Sambhar powder and Ethiopian bread. I mainly bought it because I would like to develop a good curry rub to use with chicken and salmon.[p]I have never used it, but would like to learn more about it! Man, there are a lot of spices out there! Trying to learn as much as I can about spices. I feel like I need to try them all, because I could be missing out on something! There are many flavors I have been introduced to in the past couple of years that I can't believe I lived without for so long.[p]There must be more!!
    Cheeers, NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]
    I use Penzey's as well, however they don't have squat
    for ground new mexican chiles. Try Pendery's (they have
    a web site) for ground chiles if you need them.[p]
    Dave T-berry

• Nature Boy
    Dave T-berry,
    Nice to hear from you again!! Seems like it has been a while, I was just wondering about you. My wife used to love spicy foods, but after the kids were born, she became a spice wimp!! If I need ground chiles there is a nice Latino market close by. I will check out Pendery's site though cuz you can't have to many possibilities!![p]Pendery's....Penzey's. Pretty similar names.[p]Hope life is treating you well down there.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com