Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

indirect cooking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I really want to get a BGE, but my husband wants a traditional smoker because he insists that indirect heat is the only way to smoke and that the BGE is direct. I keep seeing references to indirect on the forum. Would somebody explain how you can cook indirect when what you're cooking is directly above the fire, so that we can BOTH be happy getting a BGE?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Ann,
    Any barrier between the fire and the food gets you indirect cooking. There are dozens of possible indirect setups that are simple to achieve. From a cheap aluminum drip pan, and a v-rack to ceramic plate setters. Cooking indirect is simple on the BGE, and temps remain very even around your meal.[p]The advantage of ceramics over traditional smokers include easier temp control, more efficient use of fuel, winter cooking no problem, much better moisture retention, less fidgeting required to maintain temps. Also capable of high temp sears and makes a great wood baking oven.[p]The traditional smoker will give you more space, and can give you great results...but with more work and more fuel.[p]Hope that helps! TimM's and Gfw's websites have many photos of indirect setups.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Ann,[p]NB stated the case ... now go get that Egg! You'll truly enjoy the experience.[p]Puj
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Ann,
    Nature Boy is on the money! As I write I have 2 racks of ribs in my large Egg, a shank portion ham in the small. Both indirect. The ribs are working at 250º, with hickory for flavor. The ham's at 200º, with sugar maple. I "locked" the temperatures 90 minutes ago, and they haven't varied 5º either way since.
    If your husband is adamant, I have a Brinkmann offset I'll make him a deal on. Haven't even been tempted to use it since I bought my first Egg. (And you get to remind him that it's good for his health to get up and check the fire every hour on an overnighter.)

• Ksdaddio
    Ksdaddio Posts: 32
    Options
    Ann,
    I also have an offset Brinkman that I will make you a great deal on. It currently is rusting away, while I use my BGE indirect. Just consumed some great ribs, that took me about 21/2 hrs to do, and after I set the temperature, I lost my excuse to sit and watch it. My Brinkman kept me glued to the house, and dried out the food. Get an EGG!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Ann,
    All of the below and more...Mr. Egg bakes some of the best bread I've ever tasted as well as pizza and 'smoked salmon'!
    There's a bunch of us that have woks we do stir fry with because the Egg is perfect for that too. I don't own a Brinkmann and have only read about them here and in other forums.
    My vote goes to Mr. Egg. [p]Carey

• Unknown
    Options
    Thank you all. We're going out to NJ to look at an Egg next weekend (the guy who runs the store cooks and gives out free samples on Saturdays!) and unless there's some surprise, I think we'll get one. And be back to the forum for help, I'm sure!

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Ann Monroe Howe,
    Y'll all come back now hear. Be sure to eat a lot next saturday, and don't get too early or the food maybe raw. Welcome to the family (a little early) we are here for both of you.
    Fireball

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Puj,
    Hi friend! been missing hearing from you and your lovely wife,I still think of that great turkey last Oct. come up with something 'SPECTACULAR' for this year:-) Bob