Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Sholder

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to fire up my GBE try my hand at cooking my first pork sholder and would appreciate any good recipies and tips.

Comments

• Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Thomas,
    I like to rub the meat down with a blend of spices and then slather it in Frenches Mustard. Let it sit over night if you have the time. As Chef Tell used to say, "Very simple, very easy.[p]Cook it low and slow at about 220* for about 18 hours and the temp reads 195-200*[p]Also, read the posts from earlier today about taking good care of your egg during the cook so your fire will stay lit during the night. :-)[p]Steve

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Thomas,
    pug filled you in nicely! Rub her on down with whatever suits your fancy. Whatever you put on it will be good. The flavoring from the seasonings is mainly for flavoring the crust, as little of that flavor will get inside. No biggy, as the wonderful PORK flavor is what you are looking for! A bit of sugar in the rub will help with crusting. Several rub ideas in the recipe, and new recipe sections. If it goes with pork, it goes with butts.[p]I like to cook them at 250 dome with some barrier (I use a crinkleable aluminum drip pan with a grate elevated above it). Somewhere between 1.75 and 2.5 hours a pound, until Polly Polder chirps 200. Once you are past the plateau at 170 internal, you can kick up the dome temp closer to 300 to finish her off. Rest it for 15 or so, then pull away!![p]Have fun. You are in for a treat.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ