Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon

Options
newsense
newsense Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try Gretl's salmon with dijon bourbon glaze. I have a 1.5-pound slab of fresh salmon from Lake Michigan. The recipes I see call for a 350-400 degree cook for up to an hour-and-a-half, but they use a much larger portion of salmon. Suggestions on cook time and temp? Thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    newsense, I usually only cook Lake Huron Salmon direct for about 8 minutes, skin side down, at 375°.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    newsense, I was looking through recipes and most call for cooking about 6-10 minutes at 350-400 direct. Gretl's Salmon calls for indirect heat which may be why she goes so long. Of course she is also talking about a 3-4 pound filet which may just atke that much longer.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    newsense,
    As you are cooking over a drip pan with water in Gretl's recipe, the cooking level temp will be quite a bit lower than the dome. For a smaller piece I would probably go with 325 or so for maybe an hour. You want a good caramelization and some smoke penetration as well. When it wants to flake you can pull it. Salmon has some fat and can handle going a bit longer without drying, so timing is not super critical....like when you are cooking direct at higher temps.[p]Enjoy it. The recipe is top notch.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    newsense,
    I've used Grelt's recipe three times in the last 4-5 weeks. I follow it exactly and have done only 1/2 of a filet twice and a whole one once. I use aplate sitter legs up with a drip pan in the middle and the grate on top of the legs. Mine have allways been done at 340-350* and run around the 1 hour mark. Maybe a hair longer for the whole one. Cook until the meat just begins to flake. It is great, see pic!
    B D

[ul][li]Gretl's Salmon[/ul]