Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie from Texas

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got the large GBE after much debate.[p]No practice on the grill and threw a 10 lb brisket on to break this mother in.[p]Had some trouble keeping the GBE at around 250 degrees....Averaged around 300 for most of the cooking. Was worried about the high temp, but the brisket turned out awesome....about 9 hours to get it to about 190 intenral degrees. Great bark and awesome flavor throughout.
Probably the best brisket I have cooked - family was amazed[p]Most amazed was the little amount of coals needed to cook this thing. Loaded up the box, 1-2 pounds of coals and a few handfuls of pecan chips spread around the box. I put some more about half way through cooking, but probably didn't need it.[p]Would have probably gone through 25lbs on chunk wood on my old horizontal cooker.[p]I hate for people to say "I told you so", but this thing is pretty amazing. Worth the price[p]Can't imagine the results with a little experience and practice. I am sold.[p]Forgot to take a pic of the Maiden Voyage....[p]

Comments

• Peanut
    Peanut Posts: 75
    Options
    Tex_Oil_Man,
    Glad you are amazed. You can always count on others on this forum to assist you as well. Where in Texas are you?

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Tex_Oil_Man,
    Just fill it to the top of the firebox next time and you can cook 20 hours with no worries.[p]Ed

• Unknown
    Options
    Peanut,[p]Frisco TX.....Just north of Dallas...Plano area

• Unknown
    Options
    Tex_Oil_Man,
    Howdy neighbor, I’m in the Fort Worth area, congratulations on your new Egg and welcome to the forum. I got a 15 pound brisket I'll be smoking tomorrow.
    GaryJ

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Tex_Oil_Man,[p]Chubby here...[p]I'm just northwest of Houston now....but lived in Allen... before moving here in 91![p]Welcome to the Club!!![p]Brisket (flat) going here too!![p]Next time...keep in mind...when the BGE thermometer reads 300....your grid temp..(or the temp your meat is seeing) will be a bit different...sometimes as much as 50 degrees.[p]Pick up an oven thermometer and set it (on the grate) next to your meat...and you'll see the difference![p]Congratulations, and welcome!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Chubby,[p]I live in Allen now - since 97. You wouldn't recognize it.[p]Ed
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Thanks for the info..Will try next time. Do you ever use a rack or drip pan for a brisket? I just threw the meat on the grill....Turned out great, but always looking for some advice or hints....[p]I only had the bottom vent open less than an inch and the top with minimal ventage.....Is this the way to go or have a smaller fire with the vents open full? Really had a time trying to keep the fire temp down to the 250 range.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    P1010019-1.jpg
    <p />Tex_Oil_Man,[p]I just finished a flat today...(pic above from this AM)[p]I use a sipople set up for Briskets...[p]Platesetter, legs up...(drip pan below) meat placed right on grate directly above.[p]
    Lots of variable on fires/temp control.[p]First...make some notes each time you cook...it will help you start to see how your egg acts.
    I usually start the egg in 1 place and keep my bottom vent about 1/2 " open or so...the top with the daisey wheel colsed...with the holes open(closing down as I need to fine tune)[p]I shoot for an approximate dome temp of 275-300..wich gives me about 225-240 grate temp.[p]You'll be surprised how little fuel these things use!!![p]Just get your fire well established...before you put on your meat.[p]A rule of thumb...it's much easier to sneek up on your target temp...tham try to get the egg back down once it overshoots!![p]Evans[p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!