Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Steak

David B.
David B. Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! I had my first semi-failure in the egg. I did inch and a quarter beef tenderloin steaks at about 800 for 2 minutes, flip, 4 minutes on the second side. They were medium well! Still juicy and flavorful, but I like my steaks medium rare. I had one thought, I might have put them on too soon, before the grate heated up to really sear them. Any other thoughts?[p]David B.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    David B.,[p]The grate was hot! Basically you cooked them a tad too long. Cooking time, cooking temperature, steak thickness, and steak starting temperature all influence the end result. You can shorten the cooking time, lower the heat some, or cook at the same times and temperature and start with a colder steak. I would use three minutes per side at 650-700°F with your same steak. Cooking at 650-700° with a timing of 4 minutes per side, and using a steak that was "stiffened up" for 30 minutes in the freezer, would produce a equal doneness but with a slightly better crusting.[p]If you like more crust from the sear, dry the meat with paper towels just prior to the cook.[p]A near miss is good eating. A little experimentation will quickly reward you with the desired result.[p]Spin

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    David B.,
    Did 1 1/4" Ribeyes last night, and for some reason, couldn't wait and popped them on at 650. 2 1/2 minutes on side 1, and flipped it to the other for 2 1/2 minutes on the other, and let them dwell for about 4 minutes. They really were more rare than med.rare, but I covered in tin foil what I didn't initially put on my plate, and it did a little further cooking on it's own as it rested. As suggested, modulate your cook times...keep in mind that your flip to the 2nd side, probably doesn't need as long of a cook as the first!! Big Murth

• David B.
    David B. Posts: 24
    Spin,
    Thanks for your help (and everyone elses). You are correct, a near miss is good eatin'. I would never have believed that a medium well filet could be that juicy! Thanks, BGE![p]David B.