Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Defrosting Big Bird

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Big party at the house Friday night, and I'm going to do a 18-20+lb. turkey on the Egg. Now frozen. Like to cook probably Wed. or Thurs.
Love to get suggestions on defrosting. Usually just let it sit out for a day--but don't want anyone keeling over from salmonella. How about cook times and temps? Will inject the bird the night before and rub it vigorously with a nice dry rub, too. Thanks folks!!

Comments

• tember
    tember Posts: 13
    Big Murth,[p]I always use the rule of thumb of a day in the frig per 5 lbs. In this case about 4 days. I would suggest brining the bird for the best results on the egg. Let it sit in the brine about 12 hrs at a min. Should turn out great.
  • Big Murth
    tember ,
    If one brines a turkey, is it overkill...or appropriate--to still inject a marinade? I've always had great success shooting the bird up with liquid goodness. Thanks!

• tember
    tember Posts: 13
    Big Murth,[p]Injecting, imho, adds a particular flaovr to a specific area. I still inject from time to time but I always brine. The brine will affect the flavor and the moisture of the whole bird.[p]t
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    tember, I thinK I would support that as well, even tho I have not done the dual brine/inject. Seems like a while back somebodys thread covered that one with no problems.
    I always season after a brine, and injecting is just putting seasinings deeper in the meats..! I might be wrong, usually am, but its rare..heee...Go figure!!
    Cheers, up, down and sideways..heeeyaaa
    C~W[p]

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Char-Woody,
    I like to do it this way: I've got a cooler that I keep clean. I mix up brine solution of one gallon apple cider, one cup salt, one cup sugar. I keep making enough until the bird is floating in it. I put a cup or something on top of the bird to keep it submerged. When the water temp starts getting warmer, the bird is thawed and ready for your magic. I like chopping up apples and filling the whole bird with them. Yup, that's good stuff!

• Huck,
    I just got my green egg this week so I'am anxious to try to do a turkey, so appreciate the brine recipe. I'am going try and do about a 20lb. Also have you done any type of roast that you would shred and make sandwiches with. Looking for ideas as I'am a novice.

• Big Murth
    Dano,
    You need to check a few of the recipes, both in the "Recipes" section, and the "Submitted Recipes" (new recipes) section of this website, for some great info on those "roasts" you'd like to cook, for shredded-meat sandwiches. You will love the foolproof recipes for pulled pork (Boston Butt aka Pork Shoulder), and killer Beef Brisket, for your enjoyment and satisfaction. Big Murth
    p.s. It's always good to post a new message if you'd like info that's off-topic from the one you may be responding to.
    Gets everyone's attention better, and you'll get lots more help with your question(s). Welcome and...................
    book 'em Dano!

• Huck, Oranges and apples is a good mix also..I use a large glass container available in the cooking section of Wally World. 3 gallons I think and holds a 20 lb bird o.k. Bigger, then use the ice chest and a HD vinyl bag if needed.
    Brines are meant to be adapted any way one desires the flavor. Fun to experiment.
    C~W[p]