Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alright...tonight is my first egging of a big'ol ribeye

Options
Don't Egg me on
Don't Egg me on Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do most of you guys rev the egg up to 700+ degrees and then sear the steak? After the sear and a flip of the steak do you just choke the egg down for a few mins. and then remove. I guess I'm asking how/temps/times do y'all use. Thanks for the help
ps. I went and got the maverick thermometer thanks for the info. on that

Comments

• onelegchef
    onelegchef Posts: 119
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    On this forum go to the recipe menue and look under T-rex steaks, it will give you all the info you need.
    Good Luck
    Bobby-FTW-Tx

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    i think onelegdhef might mean to check out this page. the bible of steakn. good luck
    mark

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm[/ul]
  • CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,[p]As the other responders have said: the Trex method is king for steaks IMHO.[p]A quick summary if you're in a hurry:[p]Thicker is better for this method
    Season according to thickness (thicker=more seasoning)
    -salt, pepper, a little mustard, a little Olive oil
    Sear at 700+ 90-120 seconds a side
    take off egg let rest for up to 20 mins
    get egg down to 400ish
    finish on 400deg egg 2-4 mins a side.[p]What the product should look like is a seared crust with a perfectly pink interior which is the same color all the way through. Amazing steaks.

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p]Forgot the most important part!![p]Let the meat sit out for an hour before you cook it. Very important.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    thanks. that is worded just right and states everything nice and succinctly for the uninitiated who might also be in a hurry.

• Don't Egg me on
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    Thanks for the advice

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Don't Egg me
    how long have you had your egg i was thinking that i read you were a new owner! if you are DO NOT GET YOUR EGG OVER 400deg. you could toast your gasket!!!![p]
    if i am wrong sorry for the inconvience but no one had said anything in the post's [p]if you have had your egg for awhile try the Trex method others have suggested[p][p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Don't Egg me on
    Options
    BENTE,[p]Acually I am an new owner. Thanks for the heads up. I will look into that method
  • BENTE
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    i am sorry to say i would put the steak in the freezer because IMHO you can't cook a steak with out going above 400deg.
    grill some burgers or chicken i never had the problem some have had but i have heard some real horror stories about getting a "new" egg real hot...[p]if you do grill the steak just think how much better the next one will be when you can actually do some SEARING!!![p]
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Specularius
    Specularius Posts: 12
    Options
    BENTE,
    I have had my Egg for 1 week. I performed several cooks all at under four hundred degrees. The second day I had my egg it was at 300 degrees for about 12 hours. I performed my first T-Rex ribeye's last night, the fifth time to light the lump, and it was perfect. I had zero problems with my gasket. Several people here recommend that the gasket be seasoned before a high temp burn, but there is no guideline on how many cooks that should be. Good luck and enjoy.

• BENTE
    Options
    Specularius,
    that's right there is no protocall for how many cooks. last time i replaced my gasket (hit old one with pizza peel) i ran my egg for several times with nothing in it 350 for sevral hours. let it cool all the way down then do it again. but i'm glad to hear your steak was everything you anticipated.

happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    I just finished eating two ribeye's. Before I put the meat on the Egg, I salt,some pepper and garlic powder on the steaks. Put them into a freezer bag for a few hours. This will allow the seasoning to somewhat get into the meat. Get the egg to 500 degrees direct. Just before putting the meat on the Egg, I coat them with Zatarian blackend seasoning. This stuff has great flavor. Put the meat on for 30 seconds to get the blackening going, flip the meat and let it go until side down is blackened. Turn steak until other side is blackened. Take the steak off at that point and it will be medium to medium rare. Total cooking time about eight minutes. [p]Chef Jerry

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,[p]Love that name!

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    Gasket.
    In my opinion, I don't see any cook that needs to be any higher than 500 degrees. I have had my Egg just over five years and still have a tight original gasket. [p]Chef Jerry

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]I concur--totally! In 13 years I've never seen temps higher than 500 or 550 degrees and only replaced the gasket once on my large. That was simply due to age.

• Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try your recipe next time I egg a steak since I have already covered these in mustard.