Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help me out on buying a thermometer

Options
Don't Egg me on
Don't Egg me on Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't have a thermometer and would like to buy one. I believe I want one to monitor meat and grill temp. Again, I have no idea what to get or exactly what I need (wireless vs. wired. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,[p]Here a couple of ideas[p]Thermapen is a remote many like, perhaps MollyShark is around.[p]Thermometer, Maverick ET-73 Redi-Chek Remote

With the Maverick ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometer, easily monitor the internal temperature of smoked meats from 100 feet away. Wireless receiver with LCD beeps and flashes when smoked meat temperature goes above or below your programmed temperature. Maverick. Style #ET-73. Catalog #17-3733.
    [p]

1 Maverick ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometer product features:
    2 Count-Up & Count-Down timer.
    3 Receiver LCD is back lighted for use at night.
    4 Receiver has belt clip and built in stand.
    5 Heat-resistant food probe wire can be inserted 6" into meat.
    6 Special smoking chamber probe wire comes with clip to attach to grill rack.
    7 Transmitter has removable wire stand that also becomes a hanger.
    8 Can be used with oven or grill.
    9 AAA batteries included.
    10 Code: 011502013733 Price: $39.99

Recipe Type
    Equiptment/Toys

Recipe Source
    Author: thegadgetsource.com[p]Source: BGE Forum, GadgetSource, 12/15/05

Thermometer, http://www.cdn-timeandtemp.com/products/thermometers/

CDN ProAccurate model DTQ450

Recipe Type
    Equiptment/Toys

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, 08/07/06[p]RRP, 08/27/06: Actually in the Sept/Oct issue of Cook's Illustrated they rated the CDN ProAccurate model DTQ450 for $17.95 as being the best buy, but hung on to the Super-fast Therampen at $85 as the best kitchen winner. OTOH I don't believe that is the model you are intersted in! LOL

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Richard,
    just to clarify, thermapens aren't remote... they are a TRUE instant read thermometer (i believe the only true 'instant'-read?). they give you the temp in about 2 or 3 seconds, which is ideal for checking temps of steaks and really time-sensitve things. or for just checking something like a turkey in multiple spots.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    stike,[p]After having played with them I should know better.Thank you, my mind is not where my eyes are. But today is my birthday so it is OK, I think!!

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Richard,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!![p][p]i would sing you a song but then that would ruin a few speakers and ears around here[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Richard,
    no worries. wasn't trying to "correct" you, rather just a clarification to your pretty thorough post.[p]happy birthday!
    J

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Richard,[p]Happy Birthday! Great way to kick off a holiday weekend- four day birthday party![p]Big T

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    Target and I think Lowes has a probe with a wire attached to a temperare read out and timer. They are commonly refered to as polder type temp sensors. Polder is a manufacturer. YOu can also get them online or through big green egg. I have not heard anyone do a product comarison, so I would be tempted just to buy the one at target. They are really good to have on long cooks so that you do not have to open the egg to see what you meat is doing. Its also fun to watch your meet progress through the plateau and through to yummyness.

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Pdub,
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Cooks Illustrated did a review on remote thermometers a while back. Some brands don't let you set the alarm at any temp you want. This can be a pain, like if you think poultry is finished cooking at 160, and they've got it set for 165 or more.[p]I like the Maverick and the Polder, both of which let you set whatever temp you want. The Polder is very easy to use, although the model I had only showed you the temp on a screen that sat right next to the Egg (i.e., you couldn't tell the temp of your grill or meat from a room on the other side of the house). The Maverick ET-73 lets you monitor both the meat and the grill temp from a remote receiver, which I get pretty good reception on at home, but have sometimes had problems at competitions. (Somebody said there's an easy solution to that, but now I forget what it was.) What I don't like about the Maverick is that I'm too forgetful to remember exactly how to lock in the alarm temperature (what temp I want to be notified that the meat is finished cooking.) So most times, I have to play around with it for a while before I remember the right buttons to press. (Pretty sad, I know.)[p]Hope that helps!

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I have a LOT of thermometers.[p]The one I use is a polder with a meat/grill temp combined probe.[p]I ordered from Polder as I recall.[p]Spacey
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]Thanks for the helpful info. I'm going to get the Maverick as I have a gift card to Barbeques galore. Thanks again