Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

breads

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone know where to kind good bread recipes... been dieing to make bread on the egg... i cant find any good brucetta premixes in the store even

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    BbqKid,
    I would start with something simple. For a long time, I made nothing but the focaccia (sp?) recipe out of the Joy of Cooking. It's very simple, with just a few ingredients. [p]If you don't own that book, just do a search on this website for "bread recipe." Someone listed one for Amish White Bread the other day that I can't wait to try. [p]Do you have the right setup for baking? A lot of use the platesetter upside down, with a pizza stone on top. You can bake pretty much anything with that setup. Just make sure you let the temp get stable for a LONG time, which also allows all the smoke to burn off. Smoky bread is kind of nasty. You just want a little of that "brick oven" sort of taste, which you will definitely get if you let the Egg stabilize for a while.[p]Good luck!

• Eggtuary,
    I have the placesetter and the pizza stone will come shortly. Would you just use normal oven temps and times?

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    BbqKid,
    Yes, that's exactly what I do. But make sure you put your platesetter and pizza stone early on. The two of these are an awful lot of ceramic that you want to get up to heat. So get your fire going pretty good, place the setter and stone in the Egg, and then let it stabilize at the baking temp specified in your recipe. It can take a while for that to happen. Don't over-react to a low temp, because it can definitely take a while to get up to 350 or whatever your baking temp is. What I try to do is set my top and bottom vent the same way I would for such a temp if the plate setter and stone weren't in there. If you wait a while, it should get up to very nearly the same temp as it would without all that stuff.[p]By the way, if the pizza stone is the only thing holding you back, you might be able to go ahead and bake with just the platesetter. I know some people have tried it with success. I just always use both the plate setter and stone together because I know it's always worked for me.[p]Good luck!