Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey for Memorial Day

BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hit the Von's for coffee yesterday & discovered a case with 5 fresh turkeys! I happily grabbed a 14 lb one. I'm finally going to make a "Thanksgiving" dinner at a different time of year like I've been meaning to for years. [p]One Mad Max Turkey dinner with all the trimmings for this weekend!

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]I have been craving a MM turkey for the last week! I wonder if I could make a teeny one on the small. Hmmmm......
  • BabyBoomBBQ,[p]The bigger question, what brand of coffee did you buy at Von's?[p]inguiring minds want to know
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    AlaskanC,
    Can you say MM cornish hen?

• AlaskanC
    Rusty Rooster,
    Well that's kinda what I thought I might be stuck with. poooo[p]the BGE info-doohickey says that I can cook a 10-12lb turkey on the small.... problem is - where do I find a 10-12lb turkey??[p]I guess I'll just buy two 6lb chickens instead. :)

• Rusty Rooster
    AlaskanC,
    That sounds pretty good, especially with some DP Shakin the Tree, I love that stuff on chicken.

• AlaskanC
    Rusty Rooster,[p]I have got my entire family addicted to STT - my dad, who is a strictly salt & pepper guy, puts that stuff on everything![p]I just made some STT smoked salmon..... goooooood stuff!! :)
  • Rusty Rooster
    AlaskanC,
    All that wild salmon you get must be fantastic with anything you put on it. All I get here is farm raised, but the egg still makes it good. We like RR on it and sometimes finish it with butter and maple syrup. Usually on a cedar plank. This year at the eggtoberfest, I am camping by your egg till I get a taste of the good stuff.

• AlaskanC
    Rusty Rooster,[p]You know that shoulder shrugging/ face squinting feeling you get when you taste something nasty?... well....that would be farmed fish.[p]So you are coming to Eggtoberfest in Atlanta? Team Alaska will be looking for/ recruiting you!! lol
  • Rusty Rooster
    AlaskanC,
    Yes, I plan on being there. I was there last year but I did not know about this forum before so I came knowing noone and saw you cooking your salmon but did not KNOW to stand and wait for some. I will not make that mistake again this year. Look foreward to meeting a lot of people and trying your salmon along with others wares. All I really remember from this past year was a rib from Car Wash Mike and that was almost worth the day.

• AlaskanC
    What!! So you got a rib from CWM too?! I was RIGHT THERE and I didn't get one! He has given me a laundry list of reasons (ok he never really explained) for the reason I didn't get a rib.... and I was standing right there!![p]I think he was afraid of me.[p]muhhahahaaaaaaaa
  • Rusty Rooster
    AlaskanC,
    I have ALWAYS loved ribs, way before I had my egg. I walked up as he was saucing them and he said about another 15 minutes. I decided to spend that 15 picking his brain and waiting for a treat. I think I got almost the first one and it would have been worth a hour wait. I am still trying to match that. Will try again this Monday for my mother but do not expect to be near his quality, he seems to have "the touch" when it comes to ribs, just as I have been told you do with salmon.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Ribeye Rich,[p]Starbucks, French Roast.
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    AlaskanC,[p]I've found the MM method works great on Chickens too. I got the last fresh turkey today. I didn't want the little 11 pounder to go to waste!