Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket advise please

Bearseggs
Bearseggs Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a whole brisket @225f till its done. Read the Naked Whiz websits on brisket tips. My question is, if you don't seperate the flat from the point, and put the whole brisket in the cooler will the meat end up different or will the point be more tough. What is the point of seperation other than making the burnt ends?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Bearseggs,[p] If you don't separate the point it becomes PORK...
    (WARNING: THAT was a Joke)[p]The point of separating the point IS the burnt ends. Try it you will like it..

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Bearseggs,[p]The point is just fattier than the flat. The extra pit time when making BE's renders some of that fat out of the point. Cubing the point helps to make it fall apart tender.[p]Leaving your brisket whole will be fine, in fact, because of the fat you may like the point this way. It will be very moist and have a slightly different grain. Serve some of it along with slices of the flat.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    thirdeye,
    I've always done the whole thing and chopped the point and sliced the flat. I kinda like the chopped point better personally.[p]Next brisket the point is getting the burnt ends treatment.[p]H

• Bearseggs
    Bearseggs Posts: 13
    dhuffjr,
    Any need for injection, if so what mixture

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Bearseggs,
    I've never injected brisket or boston butts for PP.....but I've thought about it :>)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Bearseggs,[p]I'm using this injection for brisket[p]2 cups water
    1-1/2 t beef soup base (paste)
    2 t au jus mix (powdered)
    1t Wooster[p]You could use 2 cups of good beef broth if you don't have the soup base. You can kick it with some MSG if you have no issues with it.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Bearseggs,
    Some folks use Fab B to inject brisket. It's great stuff, but I think you can only buy it off the Ingredient Store online. Pretty pricy, too, but my wife is addicted to it. Heck, she told me a while back that it's almost like an aphrodisiac to her! [p]Hey, if my wife is asking me for the hot b.... well, you know what I mean!