Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Gauge

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to GBE friends for help. After cooking yesterday it rained.The temp Gauge has moisture in it which has been their all day in the sun. I bought a cover but it was too hot to install till the egg cooled yesterday. Is this moisture normal under the glass of the gauge or should I trade it in for a new one.I bought my egg yesterday.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    therm2.jpg
    <p />Thomas ,[p]Somewhat normal although it is not suppose to do it. You should be able to get it replaced. If it really does have the new glass face, I would dry it out in the oven for 2-4 hrs. Let cool and put a tiny bead of clear silicone where glass and metal touch. If will normally prevent any more moisture in.[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Thomas , If you have a metal thermometer you can invert it on a paper towel and allow water hydraulics to follow the course of least resistance. May take some time. Once the water is out you can do a very simple easy method of waterproofing. No mess, no problem. Just spray the outside surface with Pam or dampen any paper towel with vegetable oil and wipe the surface. All you need is a tad bit of oil between the glass and the rim to prevent water entry. I have done this with all of my metal thermometers of the older type. None have leaked. None have required silicon. And they all work beautifully over the last 5 years. Just repeat occasionally, depending on your weather environment.
    I do remove mine when not in use if weather threatens. Also some use a plastic bag. inverted over the thermometer dial end, and zipped back tightly underneath during showers and unpredictable weather.
    The new metal thermometer as pictured under "current" is a hermetically sealed unit and this one passes outdoor rain with flying colors..no problems so far when tested here and exposed to the elements.
    C~W[p]

• Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Thomas ,
    My gauge that is the current model has beads of moisture in it as well. What temp should i bake it in the oven at as to not damage it? Would 225° be ok?[p]Mark

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Turkey,[p]Make sure it isn't the plastic faced one!! Done that-been there![p]The thermometer can read 700+ deg - you can place it in the oven at more than 250. I did mine at near 350 in a toaster over for 3-5 hrs. Let cool in there overnight and apply a little amount of silicone. No more worry - no need to reapply oils or take it in when it rains. Mine both live outside in the open - no covers at all and they don't leak - "anymore".[p]
    Tim[p]Tim