Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Header

Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After deep consultation with the wife, we've decided to do a double header tonight. First a porterhouse for dinner, then a beef brisket for tomorrow. Since I haven't gotten the Egg to go totally unattended overnight yet it got an especially good cleaning this afternoon paying special attention to the air holes and load order on the lump. But, a question - since I'm going to be cooking at about 600° then dumping it down to 225° for a low and slow what are my chances for needing an "in flight refueling"? Firebox is fully loaded.[p]Thanks y'all![p]Kelly

Comments

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Kelly Keefe,
    I would probably choke that down air-wise, to about what you think is the proper adjustment for that low 'n slow. So, after your steaks do their dwell thing, open up your vents top and bottom to a small opening, and let the temp fall and hopefully stabilize to the desired level. As most of the "real" experts tell us, it's a lot easier to build up slowly and gradually to your desired long term/time temp, as opposed to trying to drift down to the target zone.
    You can do it, bro!
    p.s. If you are going to throw in some indirect material, i.e., plate setter, firebricks, etc, and/or soaked smoking wood, that will probably drop your temps more quickly, I would think, IMHO. Good luck!!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Kelly Keefe,[p]My experience (4 uses, oh well) is that it takes forever to cool down from 600, even with the air vents completely closed. I'd allow 3 hours for the cooldown if all you do is shut the air off. I've never added cool bricks, etc. so I don't know how much heat they will "soak up".[p]The Naked Whiz

The Naked Whiz
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Kelly Keefe,
    After you finish the steak, load up the EGG with more charcoal (to the bottom of the fire ring), it will help cool down the existing coals, then add your cooking setup for the brisket. Shut the bottom vent and leave the top vent open a little to allow some oxygen to enter keeping the coals from going out. It will take a little time to settle down but you will be ok. When the temp gets down to 250* open the bottom vent about 1/4" and tweak it to stabilize. A little work but well worth it.

• Kelly Keefe
    First Half Update: Porterhouse turned out great! Thanks for the tip about the butter, Spin. Seen it inna steak house but who'da thunk it. Just gelled the whole thing. New Bob - just one steak but we still had left overs. The wife and I just split the tender part. Oh boy! Hash for breakfast next week!![p]While the steak was resting, and we'uns eatin' salad I throttled the egg down. After an hour the temp had dropped to 400° but I went ahead and put the brisket on anyway. I "burped" the egg several times to drop temp but decided to go with the higher heat since I've had problems with an all night cook.[p]Man I tell you, steak, salad, home fries and apple crisp for desert. Any better and I'd need anestheize! Only down side is I had to cut back on the Boat Drinks while cooking.[p]More later....[p]Kelly

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Kelly Keefe,
    Congratulations on the cook, it's nice that the two of you are able to split one steak and still have left overs. I have a lady friend that I split dinners with when we go out. (leaves more room for the bar tab) When it's time for steak from the egg we each want our own. (of course the size of the steak would make a difference)
    Hope the other part of your cook goes well.
    New Bob

• Kelly Keefe
    Second Half Update:[p]Well, I still can't claim to have kept the Egg cooking through the night. Got up at 6AM and checked and fire was practically dead. Still plenty of lump, not enough air. Got it back up to 225° and by 7:30 internal temp on the brisket was at 190°, so I pulled it off. Snuck a quick piece before breakfast. (Hmmm, brisket for breakfast? Nah, went with the hash browns and eggs but tempting!)Very moist and tender. Looks like supper is taken care of.[p]Appreciate everyone's help and encouragement!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Kelly Keefe,[p]
    Give me a break! Haven't your heard of steak and eggs? Smoked brisket, hash browns and eggs? OH BABY![p]The Naked Whiz

The Naked Whiz