Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye on the Egg revisited

Birdman
Birdman Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow I'm cooking a boone-in prime rib on my large BGE. I'm using Dr. Chicken's Old English Prime Rib Roast recipe. Thanks to all who answered my recent questions regarding this.[p]The recipe calls for a 4 lb. roast, but I splurged and got a 15 pounder. (This for a dinner of four!) What I need to know is, how long will this take to cook? The recipe says 15 minutes per pound for medium rare, but I can't imagine cooking it for nearly 4 hours at 500 degrees without overcooking it, even with indirect heat.
Thanks,
Birdman
toddthompson@qwest.net

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Birdman,
    I'd cut the thing in half! Or maybe even thirds! That way the ends will be a lot closer to doneness as the middle is when you pull it. I would fear the same thing as you elude too. In one piece, the ends will be fried, before the center is done to medium rare or medium.
    Check your e-mail, I sent an answer to you a few minutes ago concerning your earlier questions.[p]You could also "tent" the ends with aluminum foil part of the way into the cook, to slow down the cooking on the ends. The aluminum foil would prevent over cooking, while the middle continued on it's merry way! :-))) Wait 'til the salt crusts over well before attempting it though.[p]
    Good luck, and let us know how it turns out![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Birdman,[p]Let me get this straight. Ya' got a 15 pound roast. Ya' got 4 people to eat it. That's 3 and 3/4 pounds of roast per person. Oh, baby!![p]The Naked Whiz

The Naked Whiz