Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and low cooking temps

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been using my BGE for about 2 years now and I praise it every time I use. One thing I still haven't been able to do is to maintain a very low temp of 220 - 230 degrees. I made a 10 pound brisket 3 weeks ago and the best I could do was 275 degrees dome temp. The brisket cooked in about 10 hours and was not dried out or over done. [p]I am planning to do a 20 pounder in about about a week, so I am concerned with the additional cooking time it will dry out. [p]What do I need to do to get the temps down to the 220 range? [p]As it is right now, my daisy wheel on the dome is barely open as is the lower vent door. [p]Any suggestions would be appreciated.[p]RossRich

Comments

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    rossrich,
    I can't comment on the adviseability of going for 220 degrees for a brisket but i can tell you I was able to hold 174 degrees for about 48 hours. At that point there was plenty of lump left but there was a burn hole down the center that extinguished. This was done with a full load of lump, a well established fire and a Guru set to its lowest temp.
    I was smoking chilies at the time.
    Dave

• Unknown
    Options
    CampCook, don't let the temp get higher than 225* and then start choking down; it takes a long time to cool it down. For 225* my opening at the bottom vent is only open enough to slip a nickel in, i.e. almost totally closed.

• Hustling Hare
    Hustling Hare Posts: 105
    Options
    rossrich,[p]Chuck/Tx gives some pointers on getting to temperature of 225 deg. You can get an extensive discussion/tutorial from The Naked Whiz' web site[p]My experience with brisket is that as low as 225 is not critical. I have done mine lately at 240 deg dome with good results. 240 seems easier to maintain for me.
    [ul][li]The Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    I start my briskets 220, but after 4 0r 5 hours the egg creeps up to 300 dome temp. it likes it there, so I let it ride there, always great briskets.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    You've discovered the magic of the BGE....you did a brisket at 275 and it came out fine.....That's the magic of the BGE.....Smoking at 225 - 250 is a "sexy" meat smoking temperature....but running 250 - 275 is fine.....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    rossrich,
    25 degrees is not gonna change a thing...
    should be the same as always.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante