Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork for numbers...

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've always done Boston Butt for pulled pork, but just for the family. I've been asked to cook for about 30 hungry High School Tennis kids as a season ending appreciation dinner.
How many Butts and what size should I need to feed approx. 30 people?[p]Thanks for the advice.... I'd hate to come up short, but want to get it close.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    SuperDave ,[p]Here is the rule. You will lose about 40% of the volume when cooked. You want 14 to 13 pound per person. Depending on the number of sides. I'd bump total up 20% to account for seconds.[p]
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    So if I cook for 30 people, and the butt size averages 8 pounds, I'll end up with 4 lbs of pulled pork per butt. That's going to feed 12 people, so is it safe to assume I"ll need 3 8lb Butts to do the job?[p]Thanks for the info....[p]

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    SuperDave,
    Smoke at least 4 butts to insure you have plenty. Let some of the tennis players take the left overs home. good luck, Tom