Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg size recommendation

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am seeking a little input on what size egg to purchase. [p]Most of the time I would be cooking only for my wife and I but there are a few times that we do entertain others. [p]My local dealer suggested the large, even though we would not need that much cooking area for just the two of us.[p]Any comments, pro or con, would be much appreciated.

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Bayaba,[p]Get the large. We've cooked for two and we've cooked for 1000 all on a large.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Bayaba,
    Go with the large. Think about doing things like pizza. You can do a 14" pie in the large Egg. Think about doing turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Think about doing paella. (Ok, I'm on a paella kick, LOL!) You can fit a 14" paella pan into the Egg. Think about burgers and wings and chicken parts which take up lots of grid space. Think about doing ribs. You can fit a normal slab into a large Egg and you don't have to cut them in half. There are lots of reasons to love the large. I think you will be happy with it![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Bayaba,
    Buy the large... I own a large and a small! If I could pick just one the large would be it. I am cooking primarily for me and my wife. We have a 1 year old little girl. I have never regretted purchasing the large. [p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist
    P.S. My Mom and Dad own a medium and so does my Bachelor Brother... they love theirs but my Mom and Dad said they wish they bought the large! My brother likes his medium but he doesn't entertain either. For the difference in price between the medium and large I would recommend the Large. If you would like to ask me any additional questions I would be happy to help.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    AlaskanC,
    A 1000? -RP

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Morning AZRP:[p]Yeah, remember the salmon in Atlanta last October. Maybe a 1000 didn't get to eat it, but there were more than a 1000 there.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• AZ Traveler
    AZ Traveler Posts: 664
    AlaskanC,
    There is a lot of bears and eagles to feed in the northland.
    Hope you guys are having good weather. John

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    AZRP,[p]546 Sea Gulls
    450 Bald Eagles
    2 kids
    1 CSI
    1 Bear

• AlaskanC
    heck yeah - don't you remember Eggtoberfest????
  • AZRP
    AlaskanC,
    Oh yeah, short memory. -RP

• AZRP
    IMG_0066Small2.jpg
    <p />Bayaba,
    I would recommend the large with the small later on.

• Thanks for the input. I was leaning twards the large because it seems that the local dealer puts together a little better 'package deal' on that size.

One thing that I haven't decided on though is if I want to go with the nest or if I want to build a table to mount it in. I've got some Ipe wood left over from a job I did that might be enough for such purpose. Perhaps others here might have some other creative ideas on the best working area for an Egg.

Bayaba
  • WOW! You like to cook, I see. What's your favorite meal from your Eggs?
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Bayaba,
    Go with the large. Remember, you can always cook less but you can't cook more. Meaning if you got a small you will probably regret not having the large when you need it.

• AlaskanC
    Jay - I'm guessing that we fed (bite size) pieces to at least 300 people, if not a lot more. It was kinda scary!! I felt like we were in the middle of a feeding frenzy!![p]Not to worry though.... team Alaska is going to pull through in a big way this year and we will be better prepared! :)
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    AlaskanC,
    i think a dude by the name of jesus did that with another kind of fish. do you walk on water too?

• Bayaba, I bought a large although I normally cook only for my wife and myself. Most of the time I could get by with a small or medium. But there are certain things I cook when I need the large. An example is when I cook a large pack of chicken wings direct on a raised grid. It takes all the space to accomodate the wings that come in a regular grocery store package. There are other examples, but I'll not waste your time citing them. I've gradually come to the conclusion that if you only have one egg, it's best to have the large. At some point, I may add a small like so many other people have done. At first I thought it was crazy to buy more than one egg, but now I'm actually beginning to consider it.

• AlaskanC
    markkal123,[p]Hey - I tell ya what - you go cook a fresh whole salmon at eggtoberfest and I guarantee that you will be shouting out JEEEEEEEZUS when you start serving to the line that forms.[p]
    And no, I don't walk on water. I fly over it or take a boat. I am assuming that you aren't trying to be an ass, but I really can't tell.[p];)

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Bayaba,[p]This is a recording!!! Get a Large!! [beep][p]When the top and bottom vents are closed the lump in the egg goes out. Tomorrow stir the ash off the lump add a little more and fire it up..[p]
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Bayaba,[p]Large. Great versatility and works fine for a family of two.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    AZRP,
    So what is that strange contaption on the right? Looks altogether neandrethal.
    Dave

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    AlaskanC,
    omg no. so sorry. really meant no harm. i have read the forum for a while and have come to realize you rock and roll with the egg and salmon. meant the jesus metaphor in a kind way.