Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you cook ribs too long?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I cook ribs for 2-3 hours indirect/unwrapped at around 225, and then wrap in foil and put back on the grill, how long can they stay on the grill before they get overcooked. If I leave them on the grill wrapped up for 6-7 hours at 225, will they get dried out or overcooked? Or is it the longer the better?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Egghead Oxley,
    i screwed up some planning once and did my spares for NINE hours at 250. they were the best i'd ever done.[p]i usually do spares for 7 hours or so, b-backs for about 6, both at 250.[p]i don't bother wrapping in foil. not that it doesn't work, but because i'm lazy.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    Egghead Oxley, you'll get a lot of responses to this question. Yes, you can cook them too long. Too much time in the foil and they'll be so mushy they aren't ribs anymore. Too much time direct and they will dry out. Best to check WessB's tutorial, as well as all the other responses you will get.
    [ul][li]WessB's Baby Backs done 3/1/1.5[/ul]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Egghead Oxley,[p] @ 2 to 3 hours you aren't even close to done. It will take 5+ hours to cook ribs. You'll get plenty of advise one this but the method I like best is the 3-1-1 method.[p]The egg is stable at 250 dome.
    3 hours indirect in the smoke.
    One hour in foil with some apple juice.
    Up to one hour back in the smoke and sauce applied the last 15-20 minutes.

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Egghead Oxley,
    I'm also partial to the 3-1-1 method but I also did some direct at about 240 for about 7 hours. (I started running errands and just forgot about the time.) Finally returned home to rescue the ribs. The egg was still at 240 and the ribs were excellent.[p]Paul

• Unknown
    Options
    Egghead Oxley,I do 3.1.1 @235 rib cooks. I have taken naps several times and have over cooked 1 to 1.5 hours and ended up with over cooked ribs that I had to use a spoon to get out of the egg. Needless to say it was not good. 3.1.1 ribs are very tender and still have a little chew in them.