Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOW TO GET GREAT BARK ON STAKE.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
No I'm not talking about my dogs barking. My nagging questing I have tried to answer, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET GRATE BARK ON STEAK. Maybe bark is not the right work but you know what I'm talking about. I have had a large egg for over a year. I start my steak cooks by getting a dome temp up to 650 to 700.
I always let the steak cook longer that it list but the thing comes out nice and juicy just not with the caramelized outer coating.
Please help I can’t take it anymore

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Diesel One,[p]I think you're talking about a crust, not really a bark. Bark is much thicker like on a brisket. You're doing the right thing temperature-wise, but you need a rub. Here's an easy one. Smear the steak with plain old mustard. Sprinkle it pretty well with some ground pepper and kosher salt. You can toss in a tiny bit of turbinado sugar. Do this on both sides. Cook over pretty high heat..nothing under 600 and 700-800 is better. Do it about 1-1/2 mins per side. That should give you your crust right there. Finish it off as you normally do. Another sure fire crust is a product called Char Crust. You smear that on after a quick spray of oil and you will definitely get a crust. Most of the Dizzy Pigs will give you a crust also from the sugar content.[p]Lemme know howsit goes.[p]mShark
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Diesel One,
    I put on a fairly heavy coating of kosher salt while the steak is coming to room temp. This brings up some moisture that makes a nice crust when seared at a high temp. -RP

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Diesel One,
    There was a time around here where we covered them in mustard. Also, there is a product called Char Crust that is pretty good.[p]Mike

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    AZRP,
    I think I read that the salt also draws proteins to the surfact. That has to be a good thing! :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The Naked Whiz,
    You would think that the finished product would be salty, but its not. -RP

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    AZRP,[p]It's not IF the searing temp is high enough to crust it. Otherwise it is horrific! Been there![p]mShark
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    beb5b86b.jpg
    <p />Diesel One,[p]I'm glad to see a couple of references to Char Crust. I thought folks might have outgrown it. LOL My favorite is Roto, by the way.[p]That caramelized outer coating you are looking for comes from the natural proteins and sugars that come out of the meat when cooking. Named after ol' Doc Maillard it's called a reaction. Certain rubs and such can help it out. A mixture of corn syrup, butter and broth (proteins and sugars) slathered on the surface will also help with the reaction and will anchor your rub.[p]Keep a sharp eye on your steaks if you try this out at the temperatures that you are cooking at because of all the sugars. It can get out of hand quickly.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    flip2.jpg
    <p />Diesel One,
    All you need to do is buy a "small" egg...it aint what you put on the steak..it`s what ya put the steak on....LOL....closer to the coals is where the magic happens[p]Wess

• Diesel One, Thank you one and all for you input please keep your ideas coming. I will try them all. When you are doing that I will learn how to spell "Steak" as the wood stake is going down very hard. Opps I need more BBQ sauce.

• Diesel One,[p]
    The best and most consistent crust I've gotten on steak is with CharCrust. I haven't tried all the flvors but that original roto rub flavoris awesome.[p]Yum me![p]TUS

• WessB,What up with your gasket? It look nothing like the one that comes on the BGE

• WessB
    Diesel One
    One word...Rutland.....nuff said[p]Wess

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I've found that the best way to get a great sear is to use a cast iron skillet on the Egg. I cook steaks at 500-600 4 minutes per side. They always come out tasty and perfectly medium rare. I doubted using cast iron in the Egg until I tried it. Now it's my favorite high temp cook method.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    blackenedsteakflipped.jpg
    <p />BluesnBBQ, I'm with you on pan searing, blackening, for char.....
    panblackenedsteak.jpg[p]

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Diesel One, About a year ago someone posted a coffee rub for pork tenderloin. I took that recipe and tweaked it for beef. With a hot fire and the coffee really adds the best chared flavor I've ever had !! Coffee really adds agreat "crust". (unfortunately I lost my notes and will have to experiment all over again)

• WessB
    Memphis,
    that would have been QBabe...her coffee crusted pork tenderloin has become quite the rave..[p]Wess

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    WessB, Try it on beef - I think it is much better !!!