Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzones - YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAA

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, just a follow up on last nights Calzones. I've never tried a pizza on the egg but if they come out anything like these calzones I have to try them. These were AWESOME. I've made themin the oven literally dozens of times with different fillings from spinach to cheese to you name it. Always good. These that we had on the egg last night were heads and shoulders above any of the others we've made. I'll post the recipe on the board over the next day or so, those of you who like pizza on the egg should try this one, its a definite keeper.[p]Brief process - I loaded up the egg with lump and put on my firebricks, two flat, two on edge. I have a pampered cheff 13 inch round stone that fits perfect in the medium egg. I placed it on the egg while the temp got to 450 in the dome. This took awhile to get there. The stone had some olive oil and corn meal on it when I put it in the egg. Then, I made stuffed the calzones (crust had to rise etc. - recipe for the dough and the fillings to follow) and slid one of them into the egg. It took about 15 minutes to cook and I was watching it through the chimney with a flashlight. I was worried about too much smoke flavor as there was a lot coming out of the egg but when the crust was golden, I took it out. PERFECT. The wife and I and our 2 1/2 year old son whoofed that one down while the second was cooking. When the second one was done, we did some damage to it also. All the while we were commenting on how great they were.[p]I'm sure this will go down as one of the favorites here at our house. I'll get the recipe posted, hopefully tomorrow, so you can try it, you'll be glad you did.[p]Troy

Comments