Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Brisket

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mornin all.
The NuTemp remote thermometer was good to me, and did not wake me up last night. I had the "low-twmp" setting of 225 to alert me if the dome temp dropped.[p]The dome temp for the 5 pound chunk-o-chest stayed in the 250 range all night, and 9.5 hours later, when i woke up at 7, the turbo brisket was done. Sitting at 200.[p]I am hoping that 5 hours in towels and a cooler won't be too long. Do yall think it will cook too much being in the foil/cooler for that long? I am praying not, as it is not practical to chill and reheat at this point. Expect to eat around noon, after the kids' soccer game.[p]Great weekend to yall. Maybe I will go slice off a piece for breakfast!
cheers
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    No problem, it will be OK. Hope you childrens'team wins.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    What?! No squiddlies? Better than Wheaties. LOw fat! Just a hint of garlic...great way for the kids to start the day...and Daddy to.
    ;>)

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Mornin' JJ,
    Beautiful. Thank you sir. Hi to kathy.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Sundown,
    Squiddlies for breakfast. You could be onto something!
    It is getting about time for me to go get a nice fresh batch. Have not done squiddlies for about a month. Good weekend to ya!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I cooked A 8lb "chunk-o-chest" last night. And it also was of the Turbo variety. 225 at 9pm last night I put it on. By 11pm dome was at 300 (I started to worry) At 1 pm I decided to go to bed still at 300. I woke at 4am and temp was 250, 7 am temp was at 225. Polder temp on Brisket flat was 188 at 7:30 am. Fork test was good so I pulled it and wrapped and coolered it.
    The temp at the beginning seemed to accelerate the cook by a lot. I think what happened was that since I used firebricks to stand the second grid on and to put the drip pan on (5 bricks in total), when I started the fire it got to hot and heated all of the thermal mass holding the temperature up (even though I kept trying to lower the temp by opening the dome for a few). I had the top damper almost completely closed and the bottom one was closed by 1am this morning. Next time I will start the fire slowly and not used so many bricks. [p]Lessons learned
    KR

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    KR, you were o.k. with the bricks..I always use 5 in the large and 4 in the small BGE. Or you can discard the firebricks entirely as we used to cook Briskett and Butts without em. The firebricks were first sensational as bread and pizza brick oven type cooks. We progressed into the Butts and ribs and brisket as well as many other cooks with them. They are a tool to learn how to use properly. Some adjust to it, and some like JJ are hold outs..:-)
    They do the same thing as their kissin cousin the tri legged plate sitter.
    All are ceramic.
    Or should be...:-)
    My 1.025 cents worth (inflationary value of 2 cents)
    Cheers...
    Char-Woody