Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

36 Hour Cook and still going strong!!

Options
Why1504
Why1504 Posts: 277
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Below I started a theread on making chipolte peppers. I did these on my 3 tier rack and they have taken longer than expected. I have done these several times in small quantities usually being done within 26 hours. The only charcoal I had was Royal Oak. This is not my favorite but it is cheap at Wal Mart. I hoped the royal oak would last for 30 hours @ 150 degrees (I was dountful). Well I am now @ 36 hours and the fire is going strong @ 150. Most of the peppers are done but I expect the rest won't be done til lunch or dinner today. I never in my wildest dreams expected Royal Oak to last this long. Oh yea, I am using a BBQ Guru. I may get 46 hours out of one load.

Comments

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    why1504,
    could you please clarify the size of egg you are on and what you mean by a full load(to the top of the firebox/to the top of the fire ting?). thanks for your post.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    why1504,
    you really gotta figure out the pic-posting thing. easy as cake![p]would love to see your results.[p]i think you have had a bum experience with royal oak. royal oak is an excellent lump, assuming you get the home-grown stuff. i haven't encountered the 'bad' argentinian version. in fact the BGE lump is basically RO in a different bag.[p]i got 32 hours off RO in one of my earliest cooks (back to back butt and brisket).[p]everything is cheap at walmart. walmart usually dictates terms to the supplier. i have fundamental problems with wally world that are beyond the scope of this forum, but suffice it to say, if you go to a retailer that forces the suppliers to find ever cheaper ways to supply their product, you really can't complain when it turns out to be cheap cr*p, or from china, etc. perhaps the bad RO you've had has been this south american stuff they came out with a year or so ago. only difference in packaging is a small notice on the bag.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    markkal123,[p]No issues with Royal Oak, just surprised how long the burn has lasted. I have a large and filled it up to the top of the small fire ring, put the plate setter on, legs down. I placed the 3 tier directly on the plate setter. Man them peppers smell fine.