Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I buy a Big Green Egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering buying a Big Green Egg,but I must ask,are they REALLY that good?I don't know anyone who owns one.Is it really that easy to maintain an exact temperature?Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Tom.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,[p]No, I wouldn't get it it. [p]It will ONLY make you a better cook, allow you to smoke darn near anything (from soup to nuts, literally), do fanominal steaks and hold temp for 16-20 hours.[p]My real answer is YES!!! I love my eggs (2 of them) and wouldn't switch. Where are you, maybe there is an egger near by?[p]Smokey

• Dooms-Dave
    Dooms-Dave Posts: 15
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    I am relatively new to this BGE thing (about 1 year) and I'll put in my 2 cents (worth everything you pay for it):[p]- Food cooked over a wood/lump fire tastes better to me
    than on the rusted out gas grill I used to have.
    - After a short while of experimenting with the daisy
    wheel and lower vent (with input from this forum and
    Tim M and GFW web sites), I could EASILY maintain the
    temperature I wanted. It's just like the wall oven
    in the kitchen to me now.
    - Find yourself a dealer (or two) and go talk to them - If
    they are anything like the ones I dealt with, they will
    let you cook something on the one they have (the one I
    bought mine from has a medium on the porch that they use
    regularly to cook lunches, and both he and another in
    the area had cooks where you could taste the results) -
    that is really the bottom line (to me) - you have to
    like the results.
    - If you need help, this forum is like having a neighbor
    that is an Egging Expert.[p]Good luck with your research and decision.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Smokey,
    I agree totally. It is amazing on how many of us here have more than one BGE of various sizes. I think that that speaks volumes about the product. This is also compounded by the fact that there are some here that own high-end gas grills and still use the BGE more.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    I was happy with my gas grill. Then my brother in law told me about this Green Egg thing, and would not shut up about it. Finally I got tired of listening to him, and went out and bought a medium egg. 28 days later traded it in for a large, then added a small a couple months later.[p]It has totally changed the way I cook, and it has turned outdoor cooking into somewhat of an obsession.....okay.....a total obsession. After a few cooks, you will be able to maintain temps from 200-1200, and you will have a pile of printouts of killer recipes that you want to try next. And you will frequently hear from your guests "That is the best I have ever had".[p]Just an opinion of course!
    beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokey
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Didn't know you were a convert! I just figured because you are so good on it, you never did the gas thing.[p]Smokey

• Smokey
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]That was me. I bought a high end Webber gas monster. I sold it! month later (when I saw the lig... I mean egg ).[p]Smokey

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    Yes, it is. Cooking on it is an art that you will learn especially from the folks here! Take the plunge and you will wonder how you lived without it.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,[p]I was a weber kettle guy for years. I got curious about low and slow cooking and started looking around. I checked out this website and others devoted to ceramic smokers because they made claims that seemed too good to be true. Devotees of ceramic cooking claimed that their grills could do: 1. low and slow for ribs and pulled pork; 2. insane temps (700* and much higher) for a restaurant quality steak and chop and 3. more moist and flavorful cooking at mid-range temps. [p]I got one just to see what all the fuss was about and the product is as good as advertised with two exceptions. The grill is not as big as Hasty-Bake or other top of the line- commercial smokers. But, for the price of good commercial smoker you could get a couple of BGEs. The other drawback is that you have to put up with cracked fireboxes, burned gaskets and band problems. I just hang in there with the forum and most of these problems are minor compared to the fatal problems with temp control, etc. I once had with the webers.
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Not sure if you just got carried away there or whether I'm not trying hard enough ...[p]Hottest I've had mine as maybe 850. BTW, anyone else get a kick out of the "Turbine" whine when it hits 700 or so. I've had a couple of friends convinced it had a fan in it ...[p]Rotor
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    Yes buy a large. Better yet, buy 3 I did.
    Fireball

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    I think you get the idea that us EGGers are sold on our cookers.Several folks have said to me"you must sell these things" Isay no,but when you have something that works like it's supposed to in this day and age,you get excited!!This forum has had 77,549 posts,we wouldn't waste that much time on something that wasn't producing.I also have a nice Holland cooker that wrens have used as a nest house since the BGE started smokin':-) Bob

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Bamabob,
    Don't cook those wrens, they are migratory song birds and are protected. Hee hee.
    Fireball

• Rotor
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,[p]A very good Swiss friend of mine has a saying that has become one of my favourites (insert swiss accent while reading this) "Poor quality; it just makes you mad!" My Swiss friend was very impressed with the BGE; and so am I![p]Rotor
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    Well Tom, what do you think now? None of us are on commission from BGE. And I know, these babies are not cheap. This is definitely a case of, "getting what you pay for!" When I got mine last Xmas, I considered a small or medium, and the rest of the gang straightened me out fast. Large is the only way to go. I have since added a mini, for the smaller meal preps---love 'em both.
    C'mon in, the water's fine!! Big Murth in New Mexico

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    Just do it.
    bd

• Schneid
    Schneid Posts: 24
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    Since I got mine in 11/01 I have used it 3-5 times a week. It is fun, easy, addicting. The only use that I have for my gas grill and Weber is to put firebricks and soaking chips on while I am Egging. Several friends, who were skeptical of the Egg, are now ready to purchase after eating the BGE products. It is a timeless, limitless grill/smoker/toy.

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Options
    Rotor,
    My Fiance and friends are convinced I am going to blow myself up. I got one those lodge cast Iron trivets and have subsequently scorched the dog and the deck! (Dog is fine he didn't notice) But you can reach new heights with increased airflow!

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Tom Kowalski, I put on three 3.5 lb beef chucks at 8 o-clock pm last nite at a stable 250 degree dome temp and checked at 4 AM this morning . The dome temp was holding at 225 and Meat was at 173Degree polder temp. I wrapped in foil and boosted temp to 300 degrees dome temp for two more hrs. and pulled beef off at 200 degrees. I had stacked the chucks on top of one another to make sure I didn't over cook and dry out as I haven't done the chucks before. I pulled it and took to work for a co-worker to try as he wanted something to try different for his granddaughters baptism in early July. All he could say when he tasted it was that you can't buy this anywhere like this. I might have a cooking date now for him. Told him he could well by himself if he would purchase the egg. He can run a pot bellied wood stove so I told him this was the same idea. Hardly noticed any use of charcoal on this cook, ceramics reign in this kind of cook.
    Painter

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    Is this the same Tom Kowalski that lives in Atlanta.[p]Larry Ward[p][p]

• Rotor
    Options
    Palisin,[p]Neat coincidence. I've just been searching to buy one this weekend.[p]Cheers,[p]Rotor

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Smokey,
    You are kind! Yeah just been cooking with charcoal for 2 years now. Still learnin' bigtime.
    hope to see you again in Rocktober.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,[p]The number of things I have bought that I list as better than advertised is very short. The BGE Egg is on this list.[p]Spin

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,[p]What was the question?[p]Carey

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tom Kowalski, Make mine #24, thats two dozen yups!
    C~W[p]

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    I 2nd that, er 3rd, er what ever it is!
    B D

• Unknown
    Options
    Tom Kowalski,
    It is one of the finest things you will ever own. I really have a thing about trying to own the best, just dont always have the bank roll. However the BGE is the best, and yes you can set it and it will stay at temp all night. Takes a little practice. Good luck Uncle Dave