Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic/Lime Shrimp

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I tried a simple way to grill shrimp that turned out great. I got about a half lb. of large white shrimp. I peeled and rinsed them. I was kind of worried at first that they were not 100% fresh, since they smelled kind of fishy. I marinated them for about 30 minutes, uncovered in the fridge, in fresh lime, olive oil, sea salt, fresh garlic and black pepper. I didn't measure anything - I just kind of threw it together. I used one lime, probably a couple of tablespoons of oil, three cloves of garlic and about a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. After marinating for a few minutes, I noticed that the fishy smell had disappeared.[p]I put them on wooden skewers and grilled them for about 20-25 minutes direct at 300. I didn't any any wood, but there was some hickory leftover from a previous cook. The ones over the hottest part of the fire were a little overcooked, but still good. I served them with wedges of lime. Very tasty![p]If you are going to use this recipe (or other seafood recipes using lime), do not marinate very long. The acid in the lime can break down the meat, and make it very mushy. Unless you want ceviche, only marinat for 20-30 minutes.[p]Next time I might add a splash of tequila to the marinade. This marinade is also great with scallops. I'll have to try it on fish some time.

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    BluesnBBQ,
    This sounds fabulous. I'm hungry already and it's only 10 a.m. I will definitely try this. Re: shrimp...I buy the frozen uncooked shrimp sold in 2 lb bags at the supermarket. There are different sizes; I get the med-large. The good thing about keeping a bag on hand is that you measure out just what you need, they defrost very quickly in cold water, and you're ready to prepare them in only 15-20 minutes. This pretty well takes care of wondering how fresh the shrimp are at the fish counter.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    BluesnBBQ,
    Great recipe. Kinda how I cook. I do something similar call it Voodoo Shrimp. Garlic, Curry powder, olive oil, allspice, hot chilis to taste . Marinate 20-30 minutes Cook on skewers. Eat I sometimes find it hard to share
    P

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Best part of lurking around here are these refresher courses. [p]Thought process:[p] - Haven't done any shrimp on the Egg yet.
    - How could I not have done shrimp?
    - I can't wait to do shrimp.
    - His sound REALLY good!
    - Must remember to get shrimp for the weekend.[p]Cheers![p]Rotor

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    BluesnBBQ,
    When I do shrimp on the Egg, I use a similar marinade but for only 30 minutes max. The shrimp are 16 to 20 count so are nice sized. I double skewer them to make turning easier. Then I do them at 350F for 2 minutes a side plus opening, closing and turning time. They come out just done and are delicious.
    JimW