Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One more brisket question

Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was reading some of the posts here about briskets - point, flat, weight, etc. I though I had a good appreciation for the art, but now I'm wondering.[p]My brisket was 5.25 lbs, purchased weight, fully trimmed. I didn't notice any fat slab to separate the point from the flat, but I noticed one end was bigger than the chunk of meat was in a V shape, so I assume it had been cut out. However, after reading some more, it seems like everyone else that has a brisket with a point and a flat is talking 8-10 lbs, while mine was 5.25 lbs trimmed. Could it be that I got a brisket sans point? [p]Here it is on the grill (I opened the lid quickly for a snapshot) fat side down. Is that the point on the right? You can kinda see the separation point between the two parts.[p]<a href="http://photobucket.com&quot; target="_blank">IMG_0234.jpg[p]Ottawa_egger

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    burntends1.jpg
    <p />Ottawa_egger,
    Looks to me like you have a point on there. Looks like if you lift in the middle, you should be able to see where to seperate.
    I love burnt ends.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    f934c3a3.jpg
    <p />Ottawa_egger,[p]From your picture, I can't say for sure about your brisket having a point, but a whole brisket weighing only five pounds is rare. Here are a couple of pictures of an eight or nine pounder to compare. The point will be noticeably fatty. Sometimes fattier than on a bigger brisket.[p]7c153180.jpg[p]
    7a197117.jpg[p]76361a43.jpg[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS to answer your question about coolering; yes to both.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery